Jul 13, 2012, 10:05 AM EST
Jayson Stark wrote a column this morning saying that the Phillies are “preparing a substantial offer” for Cole Hamels in an attempt to sign him before the trade deadline. Nothing surprising there, but there is a bit about optimism in the piece that stuck out to me.
There has been no indication the two sides have made any progress
toward a new deal for months. However, executives of two clubs that
spoke to Phillies’ officials say Philadlephia has been expressing a
surprising level of optimism it can get the 28-year-old left-hander
signed this month.
“They’re trying to sign him,” said one of those executives. “And
they think it’s going to happen. At least that’s what I was told.”
Optimism in this case sounds good.
We’ve known all along that the Phillies have a desire to keep Cole in Philadelphia, but never really got any indication about how likely they thought they could make it happen. Even a hint of optimism sounds encouraging to Phillies fans after all of those rumors of trading him generated such buzz just a few weeks ago.
As CSN’s Jim Salisbury points out, the negotiating issue between Cole and the Phillies appears to be the number of years on the contract.
Would you give Hamels a six-year deal if you were Ruben Amaro? Seven even?
As written Monday, length of deal is sticking pt in Hamels negotiations. Phils have less than 3 wks to bridge gap or trade pitcher
— Jim Salisbury (@JSalisburyCSN) July 13, 2012
|brandonphilly on Coming-of-age? Sean Couturier…|
|ifihad10weekstolives… on Sometimes you get kicked in th…|
|Andrew Kulp on 29th in the NHL in scoring, ha…|
|BenE. on Why the Flyers won the Talbot-…|
- How A Reporter Eavesdropped On Barry Bonds's Grand Jury Testimony
- Tiger Woods Denies Jason Dufner’s Auburn Angst on Twitter
- Vermeer’s Secret Tool: Testing Whether The Artist Used Mirrors and Lenses to Create His Realistic Images | Vanity Fair
- TV My Wife Watches: Q&A with Myself about the Upcoming Bachelor Season
- Happy Black Friday: Evan Turner will pay you $500 for a $229 TV
- Shawn Andrews accuses Donovan McNabb of mistreatment, says he requested a trade
- Apparently, Darren Daulton had to stop Mitch Williams from 'attacking' Lenny Dykstra on Saturday
- Tony Wroten made a YouTube movie about the Sixers' young rap group
- This outlandish Penn State-themed Christmas light display is going to cost a lot of money
- Eagles #FlyEaglesFly team release another awesome video featuring DeSean's miracle return
- Video: Hunter Pence's youth baseball instructional video is everything you imagined and more
- Your newest Sixer, Rodney Williams, once threw down pretty hard at the Gola
- Video: Drexel frat dude says f*** 23 times in intramural pregame speech for the ages