Apr 20, 2011, 2:36 PM EDT
J.C. Romero is headed to the DL after contorting himself all goofy-like during last night’s loss, straining his calf in the process. He’ll be replaced by Mike Zagurski, but that’s only because it’s 2011. In another couple of years, he could be replaced by a robot like the one throwing out the first pitch at Wednesday’s Phillies game. From the AP:
But the one-armed, three-wheeled robot, designed by engineers at the University of Pennsylvania, will throw out the ceremonial first pitch before Wednesday’s game between the Philadelphia Phillies and Milwaukee Brewers.
They started with a Segway, gave it a robotic arm and added a third wheel. They also gave it a pneumatic cylinder, which delivers a burst of compressed carbon dioxide to power the pitch.
Did you know Paulie’s robot from Rocky has its own wiki entry? “I wanted a sports car, not no walking trash can!“
In the future, pitchers might not even need to eat real human food like doughnuts, as robots could potentially be playing the game and writing the recaps as well. We’re all screwed.
|wholesale Senior Bow… on ‘Who’s That Guy?…|
|clubberlangphila on Exit Interviews: Evaluating th…|
|Renee on Steve Mason will start Game 4…|
|Renee on At least Evan Turner didn…|
- DeSean Jackson releases statement, denies any gang ties
- Swaggy uPdates: Nick Young gets in a hold-me-back fight, has sneakers stolen, and celebrates a missed 3
- Watch: The most Nick Young shot attempt in the history of Nick Young shot attempts
- Happy Black Friday: Evan Turner will pay you $500 for a $229 TV
- St. Joe's Ron Roberts is in the dunk contest tonight; we collected his most awesome YouTube clips
- Just 6 days to kickoff: Video to get ready for Union opener, some "kit" talk, and #USMNT shirts
- Maurice Edu has yet to play in Philly, yet he's already cooler (and nerdier) than you #throughglass
- Man hits ridiculous halfcourt shot during West Chester U. halftime contest, but won't get his $10,000
- This outlandish Penn State-themed Christmas light display is going to cost a lot of money