Jul 12, 2011, 5:07 PM EDT
Harry Leroy Halladay III will be the starting pitcher this evening for the National League as the Senior Circuit tries to secure home field advantage against the AL for the 2011 World Series.
Plenty of people hate on the insignificance of the Midsummer Classic these days, but with the chance to watch Doc take on the AL’s best coupled with a likely appearance by Clifton Phifer Lee, all with a potential extra World Series game at Citizens Bank Park on the line… well color us intrigued.
ESPN.com has the game listed to start at 8:00 EST, which likely means baseball will get underway a good 30+ minutes after that.
Sadly, none of the Phillies position players will see any action this evening, as both Shane Victorino and Placido Polanco will be sidelined with injuries. Still, the opportunity to see Roy Halladay throw at least two innings is appointment television.
And if you were worried about Halladay’s workload like some Philadelphia fans, don’t fret too much. Doc may still get a whole week off as he may not pitch this weekend in New York, instead getting his first post-break start at Wrigley Field early next week.
If you needed to feel any better about Halladay being tonight’s NL starter, how about this quote by Cliff Lee courtesy of Jim Salisbury.
“He’s the perfect physical specimen to be a starting pitcher,” Lee said
of Halladay. “His work ethic, his mindset. He equips himself to be the
“He’s the best pitcher in baseball. If I were to pick a
starting pitcher to win one game he’s the one I’d pick. He’s deserving
of it. I expect to see him put up a couple of zeroes.
Let’s go zeroes.
Photo by US PRESSWIRE
|puckstopper27 on Nick Young throws out Phillies…|
|sfsu on Snapshots: Flyers draw even in…|
|twine time on At least Evan Turner didn…|
|THOM on 2014 Philadelphia Eagles sched…|
- DeSean Jackson releases statement, denies any gang ties
- Swaggy uPdates: Nick Young gets in a hold-me-back fight, has sneakers stolen, and celebrates a missed 3
- Watch: The most Nick Young shot attempt in the history of Nick Young shot attempts
- Happy Black Friday: Evan Turner will pay you $500 for a $229 TV
- St. Joe's Ron Roberts is in the dunk contest tonight; we collected his most awesome YouTube clips
- Just 6 days to kickoff: Video to get ready for Union opener, some "kit" talk, and #USMNT shirts
- Maurice Edu has yet to play in Philly, yet he's already cooler (and nerdier) than you #throughglass
- Man hits ridiculous halfcourt shot during West Chester U. halftime contest, but won't get his $10,000
- This outlandish Penn State-themed Christmas light display is going to cost a lot of money