Apr 30, 2013, 12:00 PM EST
Email is annoying, isn’t it? Always some new sales pitch from Amazon.com or J. Crew. And they’re the only mildly annoying ones. Then there are all the Nigerian scams and PR pitches to write about this great hand cream that can really help you get through the NFL Draft.
But Roy Halladay’s emails are better than the rest us. Because he’s Roy Halladay. And he emails with a purpose.
After getting off to a bumpy start to the season, Halladay turned to his email — Gmail? Yahoo! mail? Does he get a Roy.Halladay@Phillies.com address? — in search of guidance. And he found it in the form of archived emails from his old sage, Harvey Dorfman.
As many of you know, Dorfman passed away a couple of years back, but Halladay kept all of his old correspondence with the former sports psychologist.
Fortunately for Halladay, he saved nearly every email exchange with
Dorfman over the last five years of his life, so before his April 14
start against the Marlins in Miami, he read the ones he sent before the
2010 postseason, when the pitcher no-hit the Reds in Game 1 of the
National League Division Series and beat the Giants in Game 5 of the NL
Championship Series, despite pitching with a strained groin, to keep the
“It was pertaining to big games and big situations and must-wins and
those types of things,” Halladay said last week at Citizens Bank Park.
“I felt like that was something that I was kind of dealing with at that
point, even though winning a game at Miami isn’t a must-win. There’s a
lot of good stuff in there. As much as you read, you just never remember
it as much as you wish you could.”
The crux of it seems to be that Doc needed to focus less on the big picture, less on proving everybody wrong, and simplify things. Focus more on each singular pitch. The results will work themselves out.
Pretty awesome. Roy Halladay even knows how to use email better than the rest of us.
BRB, gonna go look for some productivity tips over at Lifehacker.
|Marvin Monroe on Coming-of-age? Sean Couturier…|
|somekat on Photo Essay: Patrick Chung wre…|
|BenE. on Coming-of-age? Sean Couturier…|
|t800m101 on Coming-of-age? Sean Couturier…|
- FBI’s search for ‘Mo,’ suspect in bomb threats, highlights use of malware for surveillance - The Washington Post
- Slow motion video of a base jump going horribly wrong
- This Florida State Ball Boy Is A College Football Hero (this is amazing)
- How A Reporter Eavesdropped On Barry Bonds's Grand Jury Testimony
- Happy Black Friday: Evan Turner will pay you $500 for a $229 TV
- Shawn Andrews accuses Donovan McNabb of mistreatment, says he requested a trade
- Apparently, Darren Daulton had to stop Mitch Williams from 'attacking' Lenny Dykstra on Saturday
- Tony Wroten made a YouTube movie about the Sixers' young rap group
- This outlandish Penn State-themed Christmas light display is going to cost a lot of money
- Eagles #FlyEaglesFly team release another awesome video featuring DeSean's miracle return
- Video: Hunter Pence's youth baseball instructional video is everything you imagined and more
- Your newest Sixer, Rodney Williams, once threw down pretty hard at the Gola
- Video: Drexel frat dude says f*** 23 times in intramural pregame speech for the ages