Jul 19, 2011, 1:53 PM EDT
Sitting in the dugout at Wrigley Field before Monday’s game against the Cubs, Charlie Manuel said he thought the Phillies could definitely use an additional reliever before the trade deadline, but added that he wanted a good one, an upgrade over what they currently have.
ESPN’s Jerry Crasnick tweeted today that the Phillies have inquired about Marlins closer Leo Nunez. He’d certainly be an upgrade over the likes of Andrew Carpenter and David Herndon, who both pitched ineffectively in relief last night.
Nunez has pitched in 46 games for the Marlins this year and earned 27 saves, is averaging almost a strikeout per inning with a SO/BB ratio of 2.73 and a WHIP of 1.19 respectively.
As for what the Marlins want in return? Crasnick says young starting pitching, something the Phillies system is pretty stocked in.
In a bit of related news, Assistant General Manager Scott Proefrock also spoke prior to yesterday’s game, and pointed out that the Phillies could potentially add All-Star quality players without even making a trade.
But there are a lot of “ifs” involved there. He was talking, of course, about Brad Lidge, Roy Oswalt, Placido Polanco, etc.
Lidge is the biggest wild card in my opinion, if ever finds a way this season to be effective and the Phillies could add him into the late game mix with the like of Bastardo and Madson, it wouldn’t cost them any additional payroll.
Lotta “ifs” indeed.
Here’s exactly what Manuel said yesterday: (from our game thread)
Bullpen Help or a Right-handed Bat
the trade deadline inching closer, Charlie Manuel was asked before Monday’s
game whether he believed the team could use more, another reliable arm
in the pen or a right-handed bat. One thing in his response was clear,
if the Phils are going to add a piece, he wants it to be an upgrade.
think we can definitely use a reliever, I think without a doubt, but we
could also use a good bat. And when I say a reliever or a bat, I’m
talking about a *good* one,” Manuel said. “If we can find a good bat and
we don’t find a good reliever, then we take the good bat. If we gonna
get somebody, I want somebody good. I want somebody that is going to
help us. I don’t to get what we already got.”
So Charlie’s thinking big?
“I always think big.”
|clubberlangphila on Exit Interviews: Evaluating th…|
|Renee on Steve Mason will start Game 4…|
|Renee on At least Evan Turner didn…|
|Jim on Debating the Sixers’ 201…|
- DeSean Jackson releases statement, denies any gang ties
- Swaggy uPdates: Nick Young gets in a hold-me-back fight, has sneakers stolen, and celebrates a missed 3
- Watch: The most Nick Young shot attempt in the history of Nick Young shot attempts
- Happy Black Friday: Evan Turner will pay you $500 for a $229 TV
- St. Joe's Ron Roberts is in the dunk contest tonight; we collected his most awesome YouTube clips
- Just 6 days to kickoff: Video to get ready for Union opener, some "kit" talk, and #USMNT shirts
- Maurice Edu has yet to play in Philly, yet he's already cooler (and nerdier) than you #throughglass
- Man hits ridiculous halfcourt shot during West Chester U. halftime contest, but won't get his $10,000
- This outlandish Penn State-themed Christmas light display is going to cost a lot of money