Dec 7, 2011, 5:32 PM EST
Though we’re hearing that “money and length” are the sticking points of the ongoing Jimmy Rollins-Philadelphia Phillies free agent talks—as if that was really “breaking” news—we’re also hearing that Jimmy might be on his way back to town…maybe.
Jim Bowden of ESPN sent out a tweet at about 5 p.m. Wednesday evening that the Phillies had agreed to terms with their free agent shortstop. Unfortunately for anyone who had their hopes up, the rumor—first posted by MLB.com’s Jim Duquette—was immediately squashed by a number of sources, including Bowden’s own ESPN colleague Jayson Stark.
Though this particular report might not be true at this particular time, it isn’t the only piece of news released in the last few hours indicating the Jimmy would be back with the club next season. [more below]
Word got out yesterday that Rollins and his agent Don Lozano were in discussions with the Milwaukee Brewers to see if Young James might be the right fit to fill their need at short. With that in mind, Bowden’s above tweet—along with its subsequent denials—comes on the heels of Brewers’ beat writer Tom Haurdicourt’s earlier report that the negotiations between Rollins and the Milwaukee front office had seemingly ended with the Rollins on his way back to the Phillies.
As Grant Brisbee over at Baseball Nation pointed out, Haudricourt’s report may be influenced by some members of the Milwaukee organization who have the benefit of being a little more candid in regard to the status of the negotiations, especially if they feel as though they—the Brewers—are out of the running.
Whatever the reality of the situation, one thing is one for sure: Mr. Lozano is a busy man.
FOR MORE: Check out our Hot Stove 2011 roundup
|The Evster on The Evster compares the Sixers…|
|Mungman on Why the upcoming free agency b…|
|Turbo on The Evster compares the Sixers…|
|philsoc8 on Which Philadelphia Union playe…|
- New clips reveal Outkast’s Andre 3000 as Jimi Hendrix in All Is By My Side’
- Crumbling and stumbling: L&I says it doesn't know how many buildings have collapsed in Philly
- ▶ PhillyTawk: The Phluphian Dialect - YouTube
- San Francisco Mint Says Rare 1800s Gold Coins Have No Link To Thefts « CBS San Francisco
- Watch: The most Nick Young shot attempt in the history of Nick Young shot attempts
- Happy Black Friday: Evan Turner will pay you $500 for a $229 TV
- Shawn Andrews accuses Donovan McNabb of mistreatment, says he requested a trade
- Apparently, Darren Daulton had to stop Mitch Williams from 'attacking' Lenny Dykstra on Saturday
- Just 6 days to kickoff: Video to get ready for Union opener, some "kit" talk, and #USMNT shirts
- Maurice Edu has yet to play in Philly, yet he's already cooler (and nerdier) than you #throughglass
- Man hits ridiculous halfcourt shot during West Chester U. halftime contest, but won't get his $10,000
- This outlandish Penn State-themed Christmas light display is going to cost a lot of money
- Eagles #FlyEaglesFly team release another awesome video featuring DeSean's miracle return