Jul 6, 2012, 10:16 AM EDT
Ruben Amaro Jr. said yesterday that Ryan Howard is likely to start at first base for your Philadelphia Phillies this evening at Citizens Bank Park. That means your probable 3-4 hitters for tonight’s contest against Tim Hudson and the Braves are Chase Utley and the Big Piece. Oh, it’s been too long.
But given the current state of Phillies baseball — 13 back of the Nationals in the East, 8.5 back of the Wild Card – especially coming off last night’s brutal beating by the New York Mets, to what degree is the excitment of the slugger’s return diminished?
I’m not even sure how I feel myself. On one hand, it’ll be nice to have a regular lineup anchored by a guy who can hit a home run with ease. On the other hand, “but what are they playing for at this point?”
Even though this season has been painful to watch unfold, I found myself sitting at a bar last night watching a random Thursday night game against the Mets with the intensity of a playoff game. There was that (false?) hope that one big win could turn the season around. “One more Utley and Chooch back-to-back jobber could turn this thing around,” I thought. “The return of the Big Piece could turn this thing around,” some hope.
Eh, it’s all probably wishful thinking. But Ryan Howard’s return gives them a better chance of winning on a nightly basis. You know we’re still going to tune in on a quasi regular basis regardless.
And winning sure beats losing. Especially to the Mets.
Here’s to watching Ryan Howard give it his best shot as the catalyst for change.
How excited are you for Ryan Howard’s return?
|Marvin Monroe on 2014 Philadelphia Eagles sched…|
|Justin on Video: This is what an NFL pla…|
|Kelley jackson on ‘Iverson’ document…|
|Mungman on Debating the Sixers’ 201…|
- DeSean Jackson releases statement, denies any gang ties
- Swaggy uPdates: Nick Young gets in a hold-me-back fight, has sneakers stolen, and celebrates a missed 3
- Watch: The most Nick Young shot attempt in the history of Nick Young shot attempts
- Happy Black Friday: Evan Turner will pay you $500 for a $229 TV
- St. Joe's Ron Roberts is in the dunk contest tonight; we collected his most awesome YouTube clips
- Just 6 days to kickoff: Video to get ready for Union opener, some "kit" talk, and #USMNT shirts
- Maurice Edu has yet to play in Philly, yet he's already cooler (and nerdier) than you #throughglass
- Man hits ridiculous halfcourt shot during West Chester U. halftime contest, but won't get his $10,000
- This outlandish Penn State-themed Christmas light display is going to cost a lot of money