Apr 25, 2011, 5:58 PM EDT
Phillies fans across the country — from living rooms in South Philly
to the sea of red in the stands at Petco Park — all had the same exact
thought last night as Padres manager Bud Black opted to intentionally
walk Jimmy Rollins in the 11th inning to get to Ryan Howard (who was
sporting a golden sombrero for the second time in three days): “Please,
please, please make them pay.”
The Big Piece delivered, lifting a
ball to the opposite field that would have been a home run in most ball
parks but was good for a double and the two RBIs that put the Phillies
up for good. It felt just as good for Phillies fans as it did for Howard.
[watch Howard's clutch double here, and check out the fan reactions]
Joe Blanton pitched a very nice game and kept the Phils in it before
handing it over to the ‘pen which did a fantastic job in their own
right. Baez, Bastardo, Kendrick, and Madson all did their jobs to
perfection, with Bastardo’s three outs all on K’s was extra enjoyable.
And let’s not forget Placido Polanco, on his “off night,” coming in
off the bench to lead off the 11th with a hit. All Polly does is hit.
Nice fight from the Phils last night to start their west coast swing out with three straight victories.
We often joke about Nationals Park in DC being dubbed “CBP South,”
but damn if Petco doesn’t turn into ‘CBP West.’ The Phillies contingent
that was shown repeatedly on television last night was a thing of
beauty. Red overran that ball park, on and off the field it seems as of
late as the Fightins have now won 10 straight games there.
Roy Halladay looks to make it 11 this afternoon.
|Ben on One national writer thinks Eag…|
|willh888 on One national writer thinks Eag…|
|meankoalas on One national writer thinks Eag…|
|docdeath20 on One national writer thinks Eag…|
- Watch: The most Nick Young shot attempt in the history of Nick Young shot attempts
- Happy Black Friday: Evan Turner will pay you $500 for a $229 TV
- Shawn Andrews accuses Donovan McNabb of mistreatment, says he requested a trade
- Apparently, Darren Daulton had to stop Mitch Williams from 'attacking' Lenny Dykstra on Saturday
- Just 6 days to kickoff: Video to get ready for Union opener, some "kit" talk, and #USMNT shirts
- Maurice Edu has yet to play in Philly, yet he's already cooler (and nerdier) than you #throughglass
- Man hits ridiculous halfcourt shot during West Chester U. halftime contest, but won't get his $10,000
- This outlandish Penn State-themed Christmas light display is going to cost a lot of money
- Eagles #FlyEaglesFly team release another awesome video featuring DeSean's miracle return