Dec 4, 2012, 5:55 PM EDT
As the Phillies’ search for a centerfielder
drags on goes nowhere, yet another option is swept up off the market. It seems Shane Victorino is still good enough to garner attention from big-market contenders, as the Boston Red Sox became the latest to acquire the Flyin’ Hawaiian’s services.
Victorino agreed to a three-year deal worth a lofty $39 million according to Ken Rosenthal of FOX Sports. That seems high. While he is a two-time All Star and three-time Gold Glove winner, the 32 year old is coming off of his worst season at the dish since becoming an everyday player in 2006.
The Phillies traded Vic to the Dodgers over the summer due to his impending free agency for reliever Josh Lindblom and prospects. Parting ways opened the club’s hole in center in the first place.
As for what comes next, that still remains to be seen. We’ll always have a special place in our hearts for Victorino though, both as a member of the 2008 World Series champion Phillies, and an all-around good guy. A reunion was a nice thought, but sometimes you just have to move on, and forget about the good ol’ days.
Phillies viewed Vic only as late fallback. “That shipped sailed,” he said in a text. He loved Philly, now is off to Boston
— Jim Salisbury (@JSalisburyCSN) December 4, 2012
|Matt S. on Michael Carter-Williams is you…|
|FlyersFan on Defenseman Signing Day: Flyers…|
|rw on Sixers locked into lottery #2…|
|willh888 on Defenseman Signing Day: Flyers…|
- Ask the Maester: Answers to Your Questions About the Royal Wedding Aftermath (and Other Issues of Great Import) «
- Three Thoughts on Stephen Colbert’s Sudden Ascension to David Letterman’s Late-Night Throne «
- First Phillies game
- Billy Hamilton just scored from third base on a pop fly behind second | HardballTalk
- DeSean Jackson releases statement, denies any gang ties
- Swaggy uPdates: Nick Young gets in a hold-me-back fight, has sneakers stolen, and celebrates a missed 3
- Watch: The most Nick Young shot attempt in the history of Nick Young shot attempts
- Happy Black Friday: Evan Turner will pay you $500 for a $229 TV
- St. Joe's Ron Roberts is in the dunk contest tonight; we collected his most awesome YouTube clips
- Just 6 days to kickoff: Video to get ready for Union opener, some "kit" talk, and #USMNT shirts
- Maurice Edu has yet to play in Philly, yet he's already cooler (and nerdier) than you #throughglass
- Man hits ridiculous halfcourt shot during West Chester U. halftime contest, but won't get his $10,000
- This outlandish Penn State-themed Christmas light display is going to cost a lot of money