Nov 1, 2011, 3:03 PM EST
The Phillies have two more days of exclusive negotiating rights with free agents Jimmy Rollins and Ryan Madson. After which, Young James and Ryan Madson/Scott Boras will be (officially) allowed to hear other offers.
With the market set to open for free agents, Sports Illustrated has published their Top 50 available free agents for the 2011-2012 off-season. Each name on the list comes complete with a brief bio and SI’s recommendation for that particular player’s “best fit.” Four Phillies—Rollins, Madson, Oswalt and Ibanez—made the list.
So where does SI project them to land?
Rollins weighs in as the highest Phillie on the list at No. 10, and the second shortstop behind only Jose Reyes. Those of you who might like to see Jimmy finish, or at least continue, his career in a Phillies uniform will be dismayed—but doubtfully surprised given Rollins’ Bay-Area ties and this team’s need for a SS—that SI projects his “best fit” to be with the San Francisco Giants.
Two spots below at No. 12, Ryan Madson finds himself behind both Jonathan Papelbon and Heath Bell as SI’ third-most coveted closer. Fortunately for the one guy who actually owns and wears a Ryan Madson t-shirt—Me—the list still projects his “best fit” as in the Citizens Bank Park bullpen. Though, if we’re being honest, Papelbon’s ranking is unquestionably inflated—probably because he’s spent time in Boston—and Madson’s age might be more attractive to some teams than the three-years-his-elder Bell.
Basically, we’re telling you Ryan Madson is undervalued. Then again, this guy and I rarely miss an opportunity to share that opinion.
Roy Oswalt and Raul Ibanez round out the Phillies on the list as Nos. 22 and 35, with the Texas Rangers and Seattle Mariners listed as their best fits, respectively.
Should guys be higher? Lower? Wanna argue about it? See you in the comments.
Update: Yeah, yeah, we forgot Lidgey at #44. Our bad, Brad. Anyway, you’re projected to fit best with the Mets. Congratulations and I’m sorry. Can we talk about less money? Let’s talk about less money.
[h/t allan for the link]>>The Reiter 50: Ranking the Top Free Agents [SI]
|BenE. on Coming-of-age? Sean Couturier…|
|Barry on This outlandish Penn State-the…|
|LightMan on This outlandish Penn State-the…|
|You're Clueless on This outlandish Penn State-the…|
- This Florida State Ball Boy Is A College Football Hero (this is amazing)
- How A Reporter Eavesdropped On Barry Bonds's Grand Jury Testimony
- Tiger Woods Denies Jason Dufner’s Auburn Angst on Twitter
- Vermeer’s Secret Tool: Testing Whether The Artist Used Mirrors and Lenses to Create His Realistic Images | Vanity Fair
- Happy Black Friday: Evan Turner will pay you $500 for a $229 TV
- Shawn Andrews accuses Donovan McNabb of mistreatment, says he requested a trade
- Apparently, Darren Daulton had to stop Mitch Williams from 'attacking' Lenny Dykstra on Saturday
- Tony Wroten made a YouTube movie about the Sixers' young rap group
- This outlandish Penn State-themed Christmas light display is going to cost a lot of money
- Eagles #FlyEaglesFly team release another awesome video featuring DeSean's miracle return
- Video: Hunter Pence's youth baseball instructional video is everything you imagined and more
- Your newest Sixer, Rodney Williams, once threw down pretty hard at the Gola
- Video: Drexel frat dude says f*** 23 times in intramural pregame speech for the ages