Some Philadelphia Residents Assumed the Phillies Fireworks Were Racists Celebrating Zimmerman Verdict
Jul 15, 2013, 11:00 AM EST
The Phillies typically awesome fireworks display at Citizens Bank Park hit a couple of snags over the weekend. It was pushed from Friday to Saturday due to inclement weather. Then the two Saturday games with the Chicago White Sox both going to extra innings pushed the festivities into the wee hours of Sunday morning. Add to that the timing of the verdict of the George Zimmerman / Trayvon Martin trial and you have quite a bit of sleepy confusion.
Some people of Philadelphia went right for the awful and rather odd assumptions, per the Daily News:
Meanwhile, aghast newsies from Philadelphia and beyond who heard fireworks – those in South Philly and elsewhere – assumed they were sent into the skies by racists celebrating the Saturday-night verdict in Florida’s George Zimmerman case.
“People were afraid a guilty verdict would have resulted in riots. Thank god #Zimmerman’s verdict only resulted in white pride fireworks,” tweeted Sana Saeed, a senior editor at Islawmix, a project of Harvard Law’s Berkman Center for Internet and Society.
The Phillies do not play again until Friday.
|drupalgardens.com on Report: Phils talking to Toron…|
|Negativo on Comment of the week sponsored…|
|solidsender on Comment of the week sponsored…|
|Sarah Baine on Terrell Owens Is Bowling, but…|
- Watch: The most Nick Young shot attempt in the history of Nick Young shot attempts
- Happy Black Friday: Evan Turner will pay you $500 for a $229 TV
- Shawn Andrews accuses Donovan McNabb of mistreatment, says he requested a trade
- Apparently, Darren Daulton had to stop Mitch Williams from 'attacking' Lenny Dykstra on Saturday
- This outlandish Penn State-themed Christmas light display is going to cost a lot of money
- Eagles #FlyEaglesFly team release another awesome video featuring DeSean's miracle return
- Video: Hunter Pence's youth baseball instructional video is everything you imagined and more
- Your newest Sixer, Rodney Williams, once threw down pretty hard at the Gola
- Video: Drexel frat dude says f*** 23 times in intramural pregame speech for the ages