Sep 10, 2012, 4:21 PM EST
The Babe has finally arrived at Citizens Bank Park. That would be Eastern League MVP Darin “Babe” Ruf who broke Ryan Howard’s old Reading Phillies record of 37 home runs by besting him with 38.
We’re not going to pretend we know a whole lot about Ruf other than the fact he was mashing mad taters for Reading this summer. Heck, even the Phillies aren’t sure what they’ve got, but they know a home run when they see it. Hopefully they’ll see a few from the enigmatic slugger over the next few weeks.
After we were done talking to Ruf, Diekman said, “hey Babe, I have a question.”
— Mandy Housenick (@inthephilshouse) September 10, 2012
Here’s a snippet of what Reading Eagle beat writer Mike Drago told Beerleaguer about Ruf:
Ruf played at Double-A at an advanced age (26) and has never played
an inning at Triple-A. He didn’t start hitting home runs consistently
until the second half of last season at Clearwater.
He’s more than a home run hitter, as his numbers indicate. He was three
singles short of an Eastern League Triple Crown. He has gained plate
discipline and impressed scouts with the consistent contact he makes.
He’s not overly athletic and doesn’t run well, and he’s just learning
to play left field. He didn’t get serious time there until late July.
He can handle himself at first base, but he’ll need a full offseason and
spring training to refine his work as an outfielder. Hopefully he’s not
exposed to that position in the major leagues, at least not right away.
Go read the full report for more.
Sadly, for the assuming-soon-to-be-created Ruf Ryders fan group, their fearless leader is not in the lineup tonight.
The Babe will wear No. 18 for the Phillies this evening.
Tonight’s lineup vs. MIA: Rollins SS, Mayberry CF, Utley 2B, Howard 1B, Wigginton LF, Brown RF, Kratz C, Martinez 3B, Kendrick P.
— Todd Zolecki (@ToddZolecki) September 10, 2012
7:05 per usual from CBP. Could be a tad chilly even. Will the Phillies keep the dream alive? Mr. August/September Kyle Kendrick is your Phillies starter as he’ll take on left-hander Wade LeBlanc (1-2, 3.51) for the Fish.
|bt on Matchday: Eagles linemen get y…|
|charlie d on Jayson Stark on Larry Bowa, th…|
|dawkisgod on Jayson Stark on Larry Bowa, th…|
|dawkisgod on Matchday: Eagles linemen get y…|
- New clips reveal Outkast’s Andre 3000 as Jimi Hendrix in All Is By My Side’
- Crumbling and stumbling: L&I says it doesn't know how many buildings have collapsed in Philly
- ▶ PhillyTawk: The Phluphian Dialect - YouTube
- San Francisco Mint Says Rare 1800s Gold Coins Have No Link To Thefts « CBS San Francisco
- Watch: The most Nick Young shot attempt in the history of Nick Young shot attempts
- Happy Black Friday: Evan Turner will pay you $500 for a $229 TV
- Shawn Andrews accuses Donovan McNabb of mistreatment, says he requested a trade
- Apparently, Darren Daulton had to stop Mitch Williams from 'attacking' Lenny Dykstra on Saturday
- Just 6 days to kickoff: Video to get ready for Union opener, some "kit" talk, and #USMNT shirts
- Maurice Edu has yet to play in Philly, yet he's already cooler (and nerdier) than you #throughglass
- Man hits ridiculous halfcourt shot during West Chester U. halftime contest, but won't get his $10,000
- This outlandish Penn State-themed Christmas light display is going to cost a lot of money
- Eagles #FlyEaglesFly team release another awesome video featuring DeSean's miracle return