Jun 1, 2013, 1:52 PM EST
This is how Charlie Manuel described – and we can only presume will choose to remember – Chad Durbin after the Phillies dumped the 35-year-old reliever on Friday. Lord knows we’d all like to forget about the 9.00 ERA he is sporting this season.
Adding and subtracting players is almost universally about improving the team, whether it’s an immediate fix or part of broader, long-term blueprint. Seldom do coaches and executives come right out and say the guy they just got rid of flat out stinks though, which is what Charlie more or less did with Durbin.
“Chad was a professional, a great ambassador for baseball,” manager Charlie Manuel said. “But it got down to we wanted to do something with our pitching. We wanted to try to get better.”
We wanted to get better, SO GET LOST ALREADY, CHAD. Don’t call, don’t write, just go get a job at the United Nations or something.
Frankly, Durbin lasted longer than I thought he would in his second stint in Philadelphia. His miserable spring carried over into the beginning of April, and before long putting him into games became symbolic of waving the white surrender flag. Of Durbin’s 16 appearances in 2013, the Phillies lost 13 of them.
It didn’t help matters that he allowed runs to score – inherited or otherwise – in 14 of them.
The team recalled Joe Savery to replace Durbin. I dare him to do worse.
|joe skal on Photo Essay: Patrick Chung wre…|
|BenE. on Video: Zac Rinaldo racks up 27…|
|Mick on Video: Zac Rinaldo racks up 27…|
|mike on Video: Zac Rinaldo racks up 27…|
- FBI’s search for ‘Mo,’ suspect in bomb threats, highlights use of malware for surveillance - The Washington Post
- Slow motion video of a base jump going horribly wrong
- This Florida State Ball Boy Is A College Football Hero (this is amazing)
- How A Reporter Eavesdropped On Barry Bonds's Grand Jury Testimony
- Happy Black Friday: Evan Turner will pay you $500 for a $229 TV
- Shawn Andrews accuses Donovan McNabb of mistreatment, says he requested a trade
- Apparently, Darren Daulton had to stop Mitch Williams from 'attacking' Lenny Dykstra on Saturday
- Tony Wroten made a YouTube movie about the Sixers' young rap group
- This outlandish Penn State-themed Christmas light display is going to cost a lot of money
- Eagles #FlyEaglesFly team release another awesome video featuring DeSean's miracle return
- Video: Hunter Pence's youth baseball instructional video is everything you imagined and more
- Your newest Sixer, Rodney Williams, once threw down pretty hard at the Gola
- Video: Drexel frat dude says f*** 23 times in intramural pregame speech for the ages