Sep 30, 2013, 10:47 AM EDT
Charlie Manuel was not the only coach in the Phillies dugout to get the axe this season. After finishing out the string on Sunday afternoon, the team announced this morning that longtime pitching coach Rich Dubee will not return to the club next season.
The team’s full statement:
The Phillies have opted not to renew the contract of pitching coach Rich Dubee, the club announced today.
“Rich was a big part of a wonderful era here and in his nine years he served our organization very well,” said Senior Vice President & General Manager Ruben Amaro Jr. “We believe it is time for change as we move forward. We thank Rich for his professionalism and contribution to the Phillies.”
Dubee’s nine years as pitching coach was the longest service time at that position for the Phillies in the last 35 years and tied for the most in club history with Cy Perkins (1946-54) and Ray Rippelmeyer (1970-78).
The Phillies will have announcements regarding the remainder of the coaching staff at a later date.
It’s unclear whether this is a Ruben or Ryne decision, but my inclination would point to the GM wanting a change here.
Will fans notice much of a difference with a new pitching coach? It’s tough to say. Dubee has had his share of success stories but also a handful of guys who never turned into what the team really hoped for out of some young guys. Then there’s the Kyle Kendricks of the world who turned from nothing to momentary ace back to almost nothing.
No more yucks from Dubee in the dugout before the games.
|puckstopper27 on Nick Young throws out Phillies…|
|sfsu on Snapshots: Flyers draw even in…|
|twine time on At least Evan Turner didn…|
|THOM on 2014 Philadelphia Eagles sched…|
- DeSean Jackson releases statement, denies any gang ties
- Swaggy uPdates: Nick Young gets in a hold-me-back fight, has sneakers stolen, and celebrates a missed 3
- Watch: The most Nick Young shot attempt in the history of Nick Young shot attempts
- Happy Black Friday: Evan Turner will pay you $500 for a $229 TV
- St. Joe's Ron Roberts is in the dunk contest tonight; we collected his most awesome YouTube clips
- Just 6 days to kickoff: Video to get ready for Union opener, some "kit" talk, and #USMNT shirts
- Maurice Edu has yet to play in Philly, yet he's already cooler (and nerdier) than you #throughglass
- Man hits ridiculous halfcourt shot during West Chester U. halftime contest, but won't get his $10,000
- This outlandish Penn State-themed Christmas light display is going to cost a lot of money