Sep 30, 2013, 10:47 AM EST
Charlie Manuel was not the only coach in the Phillies dugout to get the axe this season. After finishing out the string on Sunday afternoon, the team announced this morning that longtime pitching coach Rich Dubee will not return to the club next season.
The team’s full statement:
The Phillies have opted not to renew the contract of pitching coach Rich Dubee, the club announced today.
“Rich was a big part of a wonderful era here and in his nine years he served our organization very well,” said Senior Vice President & General Manager Ruben Amaro Jr. “We believe it is time for change as we move forward. We thank Rich for his professionalism and contribution to the Phillies.”
Dubee’s nine years as pitching coach was the longest service time at that position for the Phillies in the last 35 years and tied for the most in club history with Cy Perkins (1946-54) and Ray Rippelmeyer (1970-78).
The Phillies will have announcements regarding the remainder of the coaching staff at a later date.
It’s unclear whether this is a Ruben or Ryne decision, but my inclination would point to the GM wanting a change here.
Will fans notice much of a difference with a new pitching coach? It’s tough to say. Dubee has had his share of success stories but also a handful of guys who never turned into what the team really hoped for out of some young guys. Then there’s the Kyle Kendricks of the world who turned from nothing to momentary ace back to almost nothing.
No more yucks from Dubee in the dugout before the games.
|joe skal on Photo Essay: Patrick Chung wre…|
|BenE. on Video: Zac Rinaldo racks up 27…|
|Mick on Video: Zac Rinaldo racks up 27…|
|mike on Video: Zac Rinaldo racks up 27…|
- FBI’s search for ‘Mo,’ suspect in bomb threats, highlights use of malware for surveillance - The Washington Post
- Slow motion video of a base jump going horribly wrong
- This Florida State Ball Boy Is A College Football Hero (this is amazing)
- How A Reporter Eavesdropped On Barry Bonds's Grand Jury Testimony
- Happy Black Friday: Evan Turner will pay you $500 for a $229 TV
- Shawn Andrews accuses Donovan McNabb of mistreatment, says he requested a trade
- Apparently, Darren Daulton had to stop Mitch Williams from 'attacking' Lenny Dykstra on Saturday
- Tony Wroten made a YouTube movie about the Sixers' young rap group
- This outlandish Penn State-themed Christmas light display is going to cost a lot of money
- Eagles #FlyEaglesFly team release another awesome video featuring DeSean's miracle return
- Video: Hunter Pence's youth baseball instructional video is everything you imagined and more
- Your newest Sixer, Rodney Williams, once threw down pretty hard at the Gola
- Video: Drexel frat dude says f*** 23 times in intramural pregame speech for the ages