Aug 22, 2011, 5:17 PM EDT
The Phillies return home this evening after a dampened weekend in Washington that ended on a painful Brad Lidge hit batsman to give the Nationals the series victory. But when you have the best record in baseball, it’s easier to put recent troubles behind you and refocus on the positives. Then there are the Mets. New York are losers of three straight and just 5-15 in their last 20 contests. They’ve also only won one of their last eight series played at Citizens Bank Park.
And they have to face Cliff Lee (13-7, 2.82) tonight in South Philly. Lee’s ERA in two career starts against the Mets is sub one, 0.64 to be exact, in fourteen innings of work.
Things aren’t all Ponzi schemes and LOLs for the Mets this season, however, as rookie starting pitcher Dillon Gee (11-4, 3.92) has been a bright spot for them in 20 starts. He’s only the second Mets rookie since 1986 to earn 10+ wins in a season and is coming off a victory against the Padres in which he tossed 6.2 innings and allowed only one run.
As Jimmy Rollins tweeted earlier in the day, he’s headed to the 15-day DL with his strained groin, and Charlie Manuel added that he hopes Jimmy will be back shortly after that, but he’s not so sure. Placido Polanco was activated today as well and is batting second.
Raul Ibanez was initially in the line up this evening, playing left and batting sixth, but he was scratched due to some soreness in his groin. Recently reliable John Mayberry Jr. will get the start instead.
Charlie’s Full Lineup: Victorino, Polanco, Utley, Howard, Pence, Mayberry, Ruiz, Valdez, and Lee.
First pitch scheduled for 7:05 and the weather should be pretty perfect for some baseball.
|Mike on Jayson Stark on Larry Bowa, th…|
|Jason R. on Matchday: Eagles linemen get y…|
|bt on Matchday: Eagles linemen get y…|
|charlie d on Jayson Stark on Larry Bowa, th…|
- New clips reveal Outkast’s Andre 3000 as Jimi Hendrix in All Is By My Side’
- Crumbling and stumbling: L&I says it doesn't know how many buildings have collapsed in Philly
- ▶ PhillyTawk: The Phluphian Dialect - YouTube
- San Francisco Mint Says Rare 1800s Gold Coins Have No Link To Thefts « CBS San Francisco
- Watch: The most Nick Young shot attempt in the history of Nick Young shot attempts
- Happy Black Friday: Evan Turner will pay you $500 for a $229 TV
- Shawn Andrews accuses Donovan McNabb of mistreatment, says he requested a trade
- Apparently, Darren Daulton had to stop Mitch Williams from 'attacking' Lenny Dykstra on Saturday
- Just 6 days to kickoff: Video to get ready for Union opener, some "kit" talk, and #USMNT shirts
- Maurice Edu has yet to play in Philly, yet he's already cooler (and nerdier) than you #throughglass
- Man hits ridiculous halfcourt shot during West Chester U. halftime contest, but won't get his $10,000
- This outlandish Penn State-themed Christmas light display is going to cost a lot of money
- Eagles #FlyEaglesFly team release another awesome video featuring DeSean's miracle return