Apr 10, 2011, 9:23 PM EST
When Everybody Hits. And Doc pitches. The Phillies win.
It’s a tried and true recipie, and that’s what happened Thursday
afternoon at Citizens Bank Park as the Phillies put on a fantastic
display of what this team is capable of doing to teams like the New York
Mets. Every single Phillies starter, including Roy Halladay, notched at
least one hit in the Phils 11-0 victory over the Mets, but it was
Wilson Valdez and Placido Polanco who did the most damage. Polly was 2-5
on the day with 4 RBIs while Valdez had his first career 4-hit game,
adding 3 RBIs and crossing the plate 3 times on his own.
“Polanco and Valdez were the ones who did the big hitting today,”
Charlie Manuel said. “Their hitting today definitely put us in a
position, not only to set the game up, but they also knocked in some big
You expect it from Polanco, but Valdez’s hot start has been one of
the more unexpected story lines of the season, as is the manufacturing.
Phillies team isn’t relying on the long ball, although Raul Ibanez did
ring the bell once on Thursday. The Fightins almost have that Doug
Collins’ Sixers-vibe going, where any guy can step up and be the impact
player on any given night.
“I think we’re doing a nice job of stringing together good at bats
and getting a lot of people on base, and then getting big hits,” Raul
Ibanez said. “Not trying to create something that’s not there. If they
throw you a base hit, you can get a base hit. Don’t try to hit a homer
on a pitch that’s a base hit. So trying not to do too much.”
“We just kinda took what [Niese] was giving us,” Charlie Manuel said
of the Phils success against the Mets’ lefty. “We weren’t trying to do a
whole lot against him. We were just trying to hit the ball hard it
looked like. It paid of for us.”
Just play baseball, as Manuel loves to say.
But not every Phillie is satisfied with simply earning the ‘W.’ Roy
Halladay wants to improve his own performance every time he gets the
“I try and avoid evaluating myself based on results,” Halladay said.
“If I can do it more on how I executed pitches, then I think I’m better
off. I can learn more. As soon as you start evaluating your start on
earned runs, or wins and losses, that makes it tough.”
So does Doc feel as sharp and honed in as he’s capable of being?
“There were times where I felt like I was battling myself a little
bit, especially from the windup,” Roy said of his outing against the
Mets. “Those are things I still want to work on. I felt better. I’m
happy where I’m at, but I would like to pitch deeper. I would like to do
it with less pitches.”
The idea that Doc isn’t as efficient as he wants to be should be
scary for opposing teams. He only threw 21 first-pitch strikes on
Thursday against the Mets.
As for the Phillies offense that was supposedly a question mark coming into this season? How’s 21 runs in the last two games?
“It was never a question mark in here,” Ryan Howard, who is batting
.480 to start the season, said of the Phillies clubhouse. “In here, I
think everybody had the utmost confidence, staying within yourself,
doing what you do. There were a lot of outside people saying ‘This
offense this, this offense that.’ They can keep talking, but we’re just
going out there and playing our game.”
And winning five of six to start the season.
So where do the Phils go from here, besides Atlanta obviously.
“Even-keeled. Don’t get too high, don’t get too low. Just keep
playing. I just leave my guys alone,” Charlie said. “Let ‘em go out
there and see what they can do when they’re playing good. Let’s see what
we can do.”
|bt on Matchday: Eagles linemen get y…|
|charlie d on Jayson Stark on Larry Bowa, th…|
|dawkisgod on Jayson Stark on Larry Bowa, th…|
|dawkisgod on Matchday: Eagles linemen get y…|
- New clips reveal Outkast’s Andre 3000 as Jimi Hendrix in All Is By My Side’
- Crumbling and stumbling: L&I says it doesn't know how many buildings have collapsed in Philly
- ▶ PhillyTawk: The Phluphian Dialect - YouTube
- San Francisco Mint Says Rare 1800s Gold Coins Have No Link To Thefts « CBS San Francisco
- Watch: The most Nick Young shot attempt in the history of Nick Young shot attempts
- Happy Black Friday: Evan Turner will pay you $500 for a $229 TV
- Shawn Andrews accuses Donovan McNabb of mistreatment, says he requested a trade
- Apparently, Darren Daulton had to stop Mitch Williams from 'attacking' Lenny Dykstra on Saturday
- Just 6 days to kickoff: Video to get ready for Union opener, some "kit" talk, and #USMNT shirts
- Maurice Edu has yet to play in Philly, yet he's already cooler (and nerdier) than you #throughglass
- Man hits ridiculous halfcourt shot during West Chester U. halftime contest, but won't get his $10,000
- This outlandish Penn State-themed Christmas light display is going to cost a lot of money
- Eagles #FlyEaglesFly team release another awesome video featuring DeSean's miracle return