Apr 24, 2013, 10:56 AM EST
The Phillies managed just two measily hits off of Pirates’ pitcher Jeff Locke over six innings. TWO HITS. And they added two more once he departed the game making a grand total of four on the evening. This left Charlie Manuel in a less than chipper mood and he unloaded a bit in a classic Charlie rant following the game.
If you’re looking for a silver lining in this one, I got nothing on the offensive side of things. Last night marked the first scoreless start in Jeff Locke’s young career.
Manuel sat in the big room in the heart of Citizens Bank Park for longer than usual last night, answering any question posed to him and just generally showing that he’s as frustrated as anybody at his team’s lack of hitting.
They’re trying. Maybe too hard. But in baseball trying don’t mean nothing if you’re not doing. And it don’t matter what you did last year, what the old numbers show. You’ve got to go out and do it. Make it happen. And Charlie’s sure pulling for his guys to make it happen. But they haven’t. That’s got to change if this season is going to turn around.
Jim Salisbury has a great recap of last night’s activities, which you should read. We’ll leave you with this Charlie-ism:
“I think they’re trying,” Manuel said. “Maybe a little bit too hard. But
you have to get it done. Baseball is a game where what you did last
year doesn’t count. It’s what you’re doing now that counts. Just because
you hit last year doesn’t mean you will hit this year. The game can
bite you. The game don’t care how much money you make. It can get you.
|33 on Eagles officially the hottest…|
|Pete D on Roy Halladay is retiring from…|
|Franchise on Roy Halladay is retiring from…|
|Andy Schreiber on The 12 best photos from the Ea…|
- FBI’s search for ‘Mo,’ suspect in bomb threats, highlights use of malware for surveillance - The Washington Post
- Slow motion video of a base jump going horribly wrong
- This Florida State Ball Boy Is A College Football Hero (this is amazing)
- How A Reporter Eavesdropped On Barry Bonds's Grand Jury Testimony
- Happy Black Friday: Evan Turner will pay you $500 for a $229 TV
- Shawn Andrews accuses Donovan McNabb of mistreatment, says he requested a trade
- Apparently, Darren Daulton had to stop Mitch Williams from 'attacking' Lenny Dykstra on Saturday
- Tony Wroten made a YouTube movie about the Sixers' young rap group
- This outlandish Penn State-themed Christmas light display is going to cost a lot of money
- Eagles #FlyEaglesFly team release another awesome video featuring DeSean's miracle return
- Video: Hunter Pence's youth baseball instructional video is everything you imagined and more
- Your newest Sixer, Rodney Williams, once threw down pretty hard at the Gola
- Video: Drexel frat dude says f*** 23 times in intramural pregame speech for the ages