Jun 4, 2013, 10:40 AM EST
Dom Brown continued to rip the cover off the ball. The guys around him in the lineup were feeding off Brown’s hot bat and contributing. And Kyle Kendrick was cruising after giving up a few early hits and the Phillies put a 7-2 smackdown on the Miami Marlins. You know what that means? A giddy Charlie Manuel postgame press conference.
Two of his best Charlie-isms following the game came when he was asked about home runs being important. Charlie Manuel LOVES himself some home runs. “Home runs are the greatest hit in baseball,” Manuel succinctly reminded the media scrum present.
But it was his discussing of Kyle Kendrick’s triple that got the most laughs.
Not only did Kendrick mow the Marlins down on the mound for nine innings, he also ripped the first triple of his career, finishing it off with a head-first slide into third.
I’d call that some solid redemption for that base-running blunder over the weekend. Manuel kinda wished, you know, like, he wouldn’t have done the head-first thing though. Here’s Charlie:
“He got a chance to redeem himself. His triple really made him look better. His lead at second definitely got short. I don’t know if he noticed, he was kind of leaning back towards the bag expecting someone to pick him off.”
“Kendrick had a big night. He had a heck of a game.
“That ball he hit, he smoked that ball. He laid into it. It was good. I was kind of hoping he’d get a mouthful of dirt. A lot of times if you slide head first, your chin hits the ground first, and you scratch your chin up and you get a mouthful of dirt. Usually after that you won’t do it no more. He’s not used to sliding. I was pulling for him to do that.”
Still, Charlie man, that’s harsh.
Oh, and KK’s final line on the evening? 9.0 IP, 6 hits, 2 runs, 2 earned, 1 walk, 5 Ks. And a triple.
|BenE. on Video: Zac Rinaldo racks up 27…|
|Mick on Video: Zac Rinaldo racks up 27…|
|mike on Video: Zac Rinaldo racks up 27…|
|Z on Video: Zac Rinaldo racks up 27…|
- FBI’s search for ‘Mo,’ suspect in bomb threats, highlights use of malware for surveillance - The Washington Post
- Slow motion video of a base jump going horribly wrong
- This Florida State Ball Boy Is A College Football Hero (this is amazing)
- How A Reporter Eavesdropped On Barry Bonds's Grand Jury Testimony
- Happy Black Friday: Evan Turner will pay you $500 for a $229 TV
- Shawn Andrews accuses Donovan McNabb of mistreatment, says he requested a trade
- Apparently, Darren Daulton had to stop Mitch Williams from 'attacking' Lenny Dykstra on Saturday
- Tony Wroten made a YouTube movie about the Sixers' young rap group
- This outlandish Penn State-themed Christmas light display is going to cost a lot of money
- Eagles #FlyEaglesFly team release another awesome video featuring DeSean's miracle return
- Video: Hunter Pence's youth baseball instructional video is everything you imagined and more
- Your newest Sixer, Rodney Williams, once threw down pretty hard at the Gola
- Video: Drexel frat dude says f*** 23 times in intramural pregame speech for the ages