Apr 18, 2013, 2:12 AM EDT
Wednesday was not a good day for the Philadelphia Phillies. It was actually one of those Alexander-bad type days. Right in the thick of it all was Ben Revere’s defense.
After botching a seemingly routine fly ball in the nine-minute loss earlier in the evening — lost it in the sun — Revere made one of the strangest attempts to catch a fly ball we’ve ever seen.
A friend of mine actually said to me, “That might be the most awkward attempt to catch a baseball I’ve ever seen in center field. Which is saying something given Shane Victorino played here for so many years.”
Now, I’ll admit, when I saw Revere running straight back, readying himself for a Mays-style over-the-shoulder-grab while in full sprint, I thought to myself “this is going to be another absolutely insanely awesome catch I’m going to have to highlight in its own blog post.” But then whatever you want to call what actually transpired happened and I literally laughed out loud. That was not pretty.
The hop and fall at the very end of it really elevates the whole maneuver. And I think we can have a little fun at Ben’s expense given that he’s already made the diving catch of the year.
Still, I think a pitcher ripping an RBI triple off the Phillies last night in such sad fashion really summed up the Fightins’ pretty well as of late.
|BenE. on Ghost Report: Murray Impressed…|
|MikeD on The Secret Service once threat…|
|Jason R. on Ghost Report: Murray Impressed…|
|your a fool on Ghost Report: Murray Impressed…|
- DeSean Jackson releases statement, denies any gang ties
- Swaggy uPdates: Nick Young gets in a hold-me-back fight, has sneakers stolen, and celebrates a missed 3
- Watch: The most Nick Young shot attempt in the history of Nick Young shot attempts
- Happy Black Friday: Evan Turner will pay you $500 for a $229 TV
- St. Joe's Ron Roberts is in the dunk contest tonight; we collected his most awesome YouTube clips
- Just 6 days to kickoff: Video to get ready for Union opener, some "kit" talk, and #USMNT shirts
- Maurice Edu has yet to play in Philly, yet he's already cooler (and nerdier) than you #throughglass
- Man hits ridiculous halfcourt shot during West Chester U. halftime contest, but won't get his $10,000
- This outlandish Penn State-themed Christmas light display is going to cost a lot of money