Nov 9, 2012, 11:40 AM EST
As we said last time we wrote about one baseball person picking the Phillies as a landing spot for the top free agent slugger on the market, Josh Hamilton, we don’t think it’s likely. But it is fun to talk about.
Today, Fox Sports’ Ken Rosenthal weighs in, noting that Ruben Amaro Jr. does love to make a splash, but also that David Montgomery isn’t a big fan of questionable character guys.
Hamilton would appear to be a stretch, both from a financial and
baseball perspective. But two industry sources say the Phillies are
quietly checking on him. While their background work might only be due
diligence, Amaro loves to make a splash, loves to surprise.
The final word: Phillies general partner David
Montgomery is probably too image-conscious to seriously consider
Hamilton, and the team already has $135.6 million committed for next
season, according to Cot’s Baseball Contracts.
Oh yeah, and the thing about him being really damn expensive too.
Rosenthal also says that, as we wrote earlier today, B.J. Upton could be a better fit. We agree.
|David Seasholtz on Looking back at Philadelphia p…|
|Andrew Kulp on Coming-of-age? Sean Couturier…|
|BenE. on Coming-of-age? Sean Couturier…|
|Barry on This outlandish Penn State-the…|
- This Florida State Ball Boy Is A College Football Hero (this is amazing)
- How A Reporter Eavesdropped On Barry Bonds's Grand Jury Testimony
- Tiger Woods Denies Jason Dufner’s Auburn Angst on Twitter
- Vermeer’s Secret Tool: Testing Whether The Artist Used Mirrors and Lenses to Create His Realistic Images | Vanity Fair
- Happy Black Friday: Evan Turner will pay you $500 for a $229 TV
- Shawn Andrews accuses Donovan McNabb of mistreatment, says he requested a trade
- Apparently, Darren Daulton had to stop Mitch Williams from 'attacking' Lenny Dykstra on Saturday
- Tony Wroten made a YouTube movie about the Sixers' young rap group
- This outlandish Penn State-themed Christmas light display is going to cost a lot of money
- Eagles #FlyEaglesFly team release another awesome video featuring DeSean's miracle return
- Video: Hunter Pence's youth baseball instructional video is everything you imagined and more
- Your newest Sixer, Rodney Williams, once threw down pretty hard at the Gola
- Video: Drexel frat dude says f*** 23 times in intramural pregame speech for the ages