Sep 26, 2011, 10:17 PM EDT
Not only did the Phillies win their second game in as many days behind a real solid six innings from Cliff Lee but they also reached the eye-popping number of one hundred wins for the season.
It’s only the third time in the organization’s entire storied existence that they’ve reached that triple-digit plateau and the first since 1977, long before we were born. They can tie the franchise record of 101 wins with one more victory over the Braves or set a new high of 102 by finishing the season winning out.
They earned the W this evening at the expense of the Braves, whose once seemingly stone-cold lock as a playoff team is now flirting dangerously close to a meltdown of epic proportions.
You have to love seeing the Phillies pen shutout the Braves in a playoff-like atmosphere for the Braves. Joe Savery got a big out against a lefty and made way for Stutes who looked like the fanbase fell in love with earlier this summer. Brad Lidge and Ryan Madson shut it down in the eight and ninth.
Raul Ibanez had a pair of big hits, both for RBIs and Jimmy Rollins, who jacked a solo shot to right, looks like he’s hitting a nice stride just in time for the postseason. Shane Victorino in the five-hole as switch hit protection for Howard appears to work like a charm as Vic kills lefty relievers.
Cliff Lee had a hiccup or two early, but once he settled in and got his curve working he was filthy. He could have easily gone another couple of innings were this a postseason game.
The Phillies reach 100 wins and are finding a nice groove over the past couple games. Was there a recent losing streak? Can’t seem to remember one.
As a fan who grew up watching some of those most atrocious Phillies teams at the Vet, watching our current squad win five-straight NL East Championships and reach 100 wins on the season does not go unappreciated.
|Jim Anderson on Marlon Byrd claims Phillies ar…|
|kirk on Video proof that Wayne Simmond…|
|Andrew Kulp on Counting Down the Eagles’ Need…|
|Jim on Counting Down the Eagles’ Need…|
- Watch: The most Nick Young shot attempt in the history of Nick Young shot attempts
- Happy Black Friday: Evan Turner will pay you $500 for a $229 TV
- Shawn Andrews accuses Donovan McNabb of mistreatment, says he requested a trade
- Apparently, Darren Daulton had to stop Mitch Williams from 'attacking' Lenny Dykstra on Saturday
- Just 6 days to kickoff: Video to get ready for Union opener, some "kit" talk, and #USMNT shirts
- Maurice Edu has yet to play in Philly, yet he's already cooler (and nerdier) than you #throughglass
- Man hits ridiculous halfcourt shot during West Chester U. halftime contest, but won't get his $10,000
- This outlandish Penn State-themed Christmas light display is going to cost a lot of money
- Eagles #FlyEaglesFly team release another awesome video featuring DeSean's miracle return