May 27, 2012, 2:57 PM EDT
After surrendering a first-inning grand slam to Yadier Molina, Roy Halladay settled down for a 1-2-3 second. Then Charlie Manuel pinch hit for his two-time Cy Young Award winning pitcher in the top of the third on Sunday.
Officially, Halladay was removed as a precaution, reportedly from experiencing right-shoulder soreness.
Details are sparse, and we don’t want to go overboard with speculation. That said, Halladay’s performances of late are not what we’ve come to expect. Doc’s ERA has doubled over his last six starts, ballooning from 1.95 to 3.98, and he’s been hurt uncharacteristically by the long ball, allowing five home runs in his last 16 innings of work. He gave up one over the previous 54 and a third.
ESPN’s Jayson Stark had this to say in Friday’s Rumblings & Grumblings:
against Washington, one scout said: “I’ve never, ever seen him pitch
like that — not since the Blue Jays sent him back to the minor leagues
[in 2000]. He had no command of his fastball, and he didn’t even want to
use his fastball. I’ve never seen his command that off or his pitch
selection that bad.” In 2010, Halladay averaged 40 fastballs a game. In
his start Tuesday, he threw just 14 all night. People keep speculating
that “something’s up.” But Halladay remains adamant that he’s healthy.
The Phillies lost 8-3 to the Cardinals, dropping Halladay’s record to 4-5 this season.
|yishmeister on 2014 Philadelphia Eagles sched…|
|コーチ アウトレット 正規品 on A Comprehensive Guide to the B…|
|puckstopper27 on Nick Young throws out Phillies…|
|sfsu on Snapshots: Flyers draw even in…|
- DeSean Jackson releases statement, denies any gang ties
- Swaggy uPdates: Nick Young gets in a hold-me-back fight, has sneakers stolen, and celebrates a missed 3
- Watch: The most Nick Young shot attempt in the history of Nick Young shot attempts
- Happy Black Friday: Evan Turner will pay you $500 for a $229 TV
- St. Joe's Ron Roberts is in the dunk contest tonight; we collected his most awesome YouTube clips
- Just 6 days to kickoff: Video to get ready for Union opener, some "kit" talk, and #USMNT shirts
- Maurice Edu has yet to play in Philly, yet he's already cooler (and nerdier) than you #throughglass
- Man hits ridiculous halfcourt shot during West Chester U. halftime contest, but won't get his $10,000
- This outlandish Penn State-themed Christmas light display is going to cost a lot of money