Aug 16, 2013, 3:22 PM EDT
It’s not gonna make too many headlines on city paper front pages the same day that the most successful manager in Phillies history is summarily dismissed, but it’s worth noting that Charlie Manuel’s removal from office is not the only coaching change that went down in Philly today. After brushing off questions about retaining the team’s current assistant coaching staff for much of the week, new Sixers head coach Brett Brown brought the hammer down today on Michael Curry, Jeff Capel and Aaron McKie, none of whom will be brought back to the bench next year.
“This decision takes nothing away from the talent and loyalty of Michael Curry, Aaron McKie and Jeff Capel, but is more about making a fresh start here in Philadelphia,” said Brown in a statement released by Sixers PR. “I respect the way this staff did their job and how they handled themselves with tremendous class and professionalism, which needs to be acknowledged. I am grateful for all the work they’ve done this off-season leading up to this decision.”
It’s a bummer of sorts, particularly for Curry, who was long jerked around as a possibility for the team’s head coaching vacancy (even though you never got the feeling he was under real consideration) and now has to find a new job altogether. Still, it’s probably for the best that the team move on entirely from the Doug Collins era, and if Brett Brown really is going to be here for four years, it seems fair he should be able to pick the staff he best feels will be able to implement his on-court vision, whatever that may be.
Let the search for new assistant coaching blood begin in Philadelphia. Does Charlie know anything about coordinating a flex offense, by chance?
|Jim on Debating the Sixers’ 201…|
|Marvin Monroe on 2014 Philadelphia Eagles sched…|
|Justin on Video: This is what an NFL pla…|
|Kelley jackson on ‘Iverson’ document…|
- DeSean Jackson releases statement, denies any gang ties
- Swaggy uPdates: Nick Young gets in a hold-me-back fight, has sneakers stolen, and celebrates a missed 3
- Watch: The most Nick Young shot attempt in the history of Nick Young shot attempts
- Happy Black Friday: Evan Turner will pay you $500 for a $229 TV
- St. Joe's Ron Roberts is in the dunk contest tonight; we collected his most awesome YouTube clips
- Just 6 days to kickoff: Video to get ready for Union opener, some "kit" talk, and #USMNT shirts
- Maurice Edu has yet to play in Philly, yet he's already cooler (and nerdier) than you #throughglass
- Man hits ridiculous halfcourt shot during West Chester U. halftime contest, but won't get his $10,000
- This outlandish Penn State-themed Christmas light display is going to cost a lot of money