Sep 12, 2013, 1:38 PM EDT
The Sixers on Thursday continued to fill out what was once an almost non-existent backcourt with the signing of third-year guard Darius Morris.
Morris, 22, will sign a partially guaranteed contract for the 2013-14 season, but is expected to make the 76ers’ roster and play meaningful backcourt minutes this season.
ProBasketballTalk writes that the deal is actually for two years, but since it’s not guaranteed, it also kind of isn’t for two years.
PBT also offers this nice little summary of Morris’ last season in L.A.:
Darius Morris couldn’t crack Mike D’Antoni’s tight rotation last season with the Lakers. He played sparingly until injuries in the playoffs forced D’Antoni’s hand and Morris started Game 3 against the Spurs in the first round. Morris put up 24 points (on just 15 shots) and had six assists, but he got torched at the other end of the floor and was a -28 in the Lakers 31-point blowout loss.
Some quick housekeeping notes on the roster, the Sixers’ backcourt now consists of Morris, Michael Carter-Wiliams, Tony Wroten, James Anderson and Jason Richardson, who is expected to miss at least a substantial part of the season, if not the whole thing.
With camp coming up, the Sixers now have 14 guys under contract (number includes the still-technically-unsigned Noel and Carter-Wiliams). Three guys — Morris, Anderson and Tim Olbrecht — are not guaranteed.
That list of 14 does not include foreign draft picks 2013 second-round selection Arsalan Kazemi or Furkan Aldemir, acquired from the Rockets along with Royce White.
The Inqy’s Keith Pompey reported a few weeks back that GM Sam Hinkie “said he will make roster moves ‘in a lot of ways’ in the weeks leading up next month’s training camp” and that he would like to have the maximum number of guys (20) in camp. Pompey then speculated that former Temple Owl Khalif Wyatt, who impressed in summer league, could receive one of the extra invitations.
>>How Sam Hinkie can blow up the Sixers next summer
|Phil From Mt Airy on Nerlens Noel played 4-on-4 tod…|
|fknboz on Nerlens Noel played 4-on-4 tod…|
|Andrew M on Nerlens Noel played 4-on-4 tod…|
|Mostel on Patrick Chung’s reign of…|
- Watch: The most Nick Young shot attempt in the history of Nick Young shot attempts
- Happy Black Friday: Evan Turner will pay you $500 for a $229 TV
- Shawn Andrews accuses Donovan McNabb of mistreatment, says he requested a trade
- Apparently, Darren Daulton had to stop Mitch Williams from 'attacking' Lenny Dykstra on Saturday
- Just 6 days to kickoff: Video to get ready for Union opener, some "kit" talk, and #USMNT shirts
- Maurice Edu has yet to play in Philly, yet he's already cooler (and nerdier) than you #throughglass
- Man hits ridiculous halfcourt shot during West Chester U. halftime contest, but won't get his $10,000
- This outlandish Penn State-themed Christmas light display is going to cost a lot of money
- Eagles #FlyEaglesFly team release another awesome video featuring DeSean's miracle return