May 7, 2013, 11:29 AM EST
The way it’s been talked about so far, it’s almost as if the Sixers’ search for a new head coach exists in a vacuum.
But the Sixers aren’t the only team looking for a new coach.
At current, the Nets, Bucks, Pistons and Bobcats are also looking for replacements for P.J. Carlesimo (via Avery Johnson), Jim Boylan, Lawrence Frank and Mike Dunlap.
It looks as if Larry Drew and his staff are also about to be kicked out of Atlanta.
Don’t discredit the remaining possibility of future openings in Los Angeles, should the Lakers go all-in on Dwight Howard or the Clippers opt to cut ties with Vinny Del Negro.
Point is: although the Sixers may be interested in candidates X, Y and Z, they are not alone in their interest.
Take a look at what happened with Brown. No sooner was he mentioned as a candidate for the Sixers than he re-signed in Cleveland. Shaw has already in his career interviewed for nine different head coaching vacancies, but remains an attractive and available assistant because none of those were the right “fit.”
The NBA world the Sixers currently inhabit is one in which their open head coaching gig is not exactly desirable. It’s the reason they likely won’t attract top-tier candidates and the reason still others may be gun-shy about taking the job based on the possibility that failure could preclude them from coaching again.
Of the current openings, the Sixers’ job is certainly better than the one in Charlotte, but that’s about it. Even Detroit just landed Phil Jackson as some kind of consultant, suggesting they maybe have a direction to sell.
But the Sixers — as currently constituted, presumably without Andrew Bynum — are going nowhere, making this an opening where a coach will be hired to get fired (or in Doug’s case, resign).
So if you really want a head coaching job right now, come to Philadelphia. Otherwise, there are other openings available. There will be yet even more in the future.
|Captain_Awesome on Why Philadelphia lost WrestleM…|
|Chip Smelly on Video: Danny Briere talks fond…|
|db21 on Connor Barwin says Eagles used…|
|2sentz on Video: Danny Briere talks fond…|
- We Found This 20-Year-Old T-Shirt In Kenya. The Internet Found The Original Owner : Planet Money : NPR
- Prior to a doctor’s intervention, Dwight Howard was eating ‘the equivalent of 24 Hershey bars a day’ via candy and soda | Ball Don't Lie - Yahoo Sports
- To Roy Halladay, With Gratitude - The Triangle Blog - Grantland
- Roy Halladay Opens the 2010 Phillies Playoff Run With a NO-HITTER!! | The700Level
- Watch: The most Nick Young shot attempt in the history of Nick Young shot attempts
- Happy Black Friday: Evan Turner will pay you $500 for a $229 TV
- Shawn Andrews accuses Donovan McNabb of mistreatment, says he requested a trade
- Apparently, Darren Daulton had to stop Mitch Williams from 'attacking' Lenny Dykstra on Saturday
- This outlandish Penn State-themed Christmas light display is going to cost a lot of money
- Eagles #FlyEaglesFly team release another awesome video featuring DeSean's miracle return
- Video: Hunter Pence's youth baseball instructional video is everything you imagined and more
- Your newest Sixer, Rodney Williams, once threw down pretty hard at the Gola
- Video: Drexel frat dude says f*** 23 times in intramural pregame speech for the ages