Jan 3, 2014, 10:55 AM EDT
Earlier in the day, Steve Moore — both a hardcore soccer fan and Philadelphia Union supporter — wrote strongly of his opinion that the organization potentially looking into the idea of a team mascot is a very bad idea. This is a counter point.
The Philadelphia Union may be putting out feelers as to how some of their fans would feel about the team adopting a mascot. This is great news.
A Philadelphia Union mascot would be totally awesome! As long as the mascot is a moose.
Now, some hardcore supporters may be against any idea of a mascot, but whatever. Steve’s a fan. I’m a fan. We may not be fans in the same way, but my butt fills just about the same amount of seat space at PPL Park every fourth or fifth game.
Critics may say, “But a mascot is bush-league and no legit sports franchise would ever need to stoop to such levels.
Yeah, you may have a point EXCEPT:
Okay, now that we got that out of the way, why would a moose mascot be totally awesome for the Union?
You want a mascot that represents an important part of your local history or the history of a tropical island a couple thousand miles away. Either or.
We all know the Union need to be a frugal franchise while they’re still in the organization’s relative infancy. No need to spend any more money on focus groups when they can’t even afford a legit left back. Just take what the truly spectacular work Adam Aaron did with the Sixers and run with it. Phil E. Moose already has the hearts of Philadelphians.
Not many people know this, but back in the late 1700′s, moose were roaming all over the Pennsylvania and New Jersey areas. It was actually a moose with a lit cigar stuck between its antlers that helped guide the way on the famed frigid night when George Washington and his troops crossed the Delaware River.
WHERE IS PPL PARK LOCATED?
On the Delaware River.
So there’s your history.
Now, if you don’t like my moose idea. Fine. I don’t really care if the Union have a mascot or not. But my two year-old nephew might enjoy it, so I won’t write the idea off while the team is in the INFORMATION GATHERING phase of things.
Some mascots are cool.
All moose are cool.
|Jim Anderson on Marlon Byrd claims Phillies ar…|
|kirk on Video proof that Wayne Simmond…|
|Andrew Kulp on Counting Down the Eagles’ Need…|
|Jim on Counting Down the Eagles’ Need…|
- Watch: The most Nick Young shot attempt in the history of Nick Young shot attempts
- Happy Black Friday: Evan Turner will pay you $500 for a $229 TV
- Shawn Andrews accuses Donovan McNabb of mistreatment, says he requested a trade
- Apparently, Darren Daulton had to stop Mitch Williams from 'attacking' Lenny Dykstra on Saturday
- Just 6 days to kickoff: Video to get ready for Union opener, some "kit" talk, and #USMNT shirts
- Maurice Edu has yet to play in Philly, yet he's already cooler (and nerdier) than you #throughglass
- Man hits ridiculous halfcourt shot during West Chester U. halftime contest, but won't get his $10,000
- This outlandish Penn State-themed Christmas light display is going to cost a lot of money
- Eagles #FlyEaglesFly team release another awesome video featuring DeSean's miracle return