Jun 22, 2011, 6:55 PM EST
After a rocky start to the Gold Cup the US finds itself exactly where everyone assumed they’d be – in the semifinals of a tournament they were favored to win.
Tonight they face Panama, the team that handed the US its first Gold Cup group stage loss in the history of the twenty year old tournament (7PM/Fox Soccer/Galavision). The 2-1 loss to Panama seems to have been a wake-up call to the US, who have not conceded a goal since the first half of the Panama game.
Bob Bradley released his lineup for tonight and it looks like this:
Howard; Cherundolo, Goodson, Bocanegra, Lichaj; Bradley, Jones; Bedoya, Kljestan, Dempsey;Agudelo
You’ll notice that once again Landon Donovan, the all-time leading scorer in USMNT history, starts the game on the bench.
I suppose it’s a encouraging commentary on the state of the US program when they can start back to back knockout stage games with their best player on the bench. Granted, he sat against Jamaica because he did not return to D.C. until 7AM on Saturday (he flew to California and back in order to attend his sister’s wedding).
Tonight? Well, tonight it appears to simply be a tactical decision by Bob Bradley.
I kind of like the idea of bringing Donovan in off of the bench. He’ll bring fresh legs, an attacking mentality, and the wherewithal to help kill off a game in the event the US leads.
Make no mistake about it though – for a coach as conservative as Bradley not starting Donovan is a major story. Essentially he’s banking on Bedoya and Kljestan to repeat their outstanding performances from the Jamaica game.
Win this evening and the US advances to the Rose Bowl for Saturday’s Gold Cup Final against the winner of Mexico/Honduras.
|bt on Matchday: Eagles linemen get y…|
|charlie d on Jayson Stark on Larry Bowa, th…|
|dawkisgod on Jayson Stark on Larry Bowa, th…|
|dawkisgod on Matchday: Eagles linemen get y…|
- New clips reveal Outkast’s Andre 3000 as Jimi Hendrix in All Is By My Side’
- Crumbling and stumbling: L&I says it doesn't know how many buildings have collapsed in Philly
- ▶ PhillyTawk: The Phluphian Dialect - YouTube
- San Francisco Mint Says Rare 1800s Gold Coins Have No Link To Thefts « CBS San Francisco
- Watch: The most Nick Young shot attempt in the history of Nick Young shot attempts
- Happy Black Friday: Evan Turner will pay you $500 for a $229 TV
- Shawn Andrews accuses Donovan McNabb of mistreatment, says he requested a trade
- Apparently, Darren Daulton had to stop Mitch Williams from 'attacking' Lenny Dykstra on Saturday
- Just 6 days to kickoff: Video to get ready for Union opener, some "kit" talk, and #USMNT shirts
- Maurice Edu has yet to play in Philly, yet he's already cooler (and nerdier) than you #throughglass
- Man hits ridiculous halfcourt shot during West Chester U. halftime contest, but won't get his $10,000
- This outlandish Penn State-themed Christmas light display is going to cost a lot of money
- Eagles #FlyEaglesFly team release another awesome video featuring DeSean's miracle return