Jul 26, 2013, 1:51 PM EDT
Personally, I think it’s challenging for the casual soccer fans like myself in Philadelphia (partial Union season ticket holder going on two seasons) to get as vested in some of the Union players as we do in any of the four major teams. It’s not a knock on the sport per se, but more a byproduct of the nature of the MLS world being more transient and casual fans having no idea who three-quarters of these players are before they arrive to suit up for the U.
In other sports, even casual fans know something about Free Agent X or Top Draft Pick Y, etc. Then in baseball we have 162 games a year to fill some airtime with nuggets about each player. The NFL basically has entire news organizations devoted to keeping us informed. Soccer’s a different beast. And many of us don’t have the time or energy to bump it ahead of the four teams we grew up with our whole lives.
But Jack McInerney gives off the vibe of a guy worth getting to know if you’re a Philly sports fan. Dave Zeitlin’s long profile of Jack Mac for MLS.com this week is worth a click and a read. The description Jack Mac’s mom gives of her son’s personality could describe Philadelphia’s favorite athlete, Chase Utley: intense, serious, introverted, competitive, and quiet.
Philly typically loves a guy who is all business.
It was his description of former Union manager Peter Nowak that stuck out from the profile:
In typical McInerney fashion, here’s how the striker succinctly sums up his relationship with Nowak: “It was really good at first. And then he just kind of went crazy.”
Pretty good burn. Honesty always makes them sting a little more.
Give the whole thing a read. Hopefully Jack Mac will stick around town for a while so we can continue to get to know him. And see a few more goals.
Maybe get some more furniture though.
|yishmeister on 2014 Philadelphia Eagles sched…|
|コーチ アウトレット 正規品 on A Comprehensive Guide to the B…|
|puckstopper27 on Nick Young throws out Phillies…|
|sfsu on Snapshots: Flyers draw even in…|
- DeSean Jackson releases statement, denies any gang ties
- Swaggy uPdates: Nick Young gets in a hold-me-back fight, has sneakers stolen, and celebrates a missed 3
- Watch: The most Nick Young shot attempt in the history of Nick Young shot attempts
- Happy Black Friday: Evan Turner will pay you $500 for a $229 TV
- St. Joe's Ron Roberts is in the dunk contest tonight; we collected his most awesome YouTube clips
- Just 6 days to kickoff: Video to get ready for Union opener, some "kit" talk, and #USMNT shirts
- Maurice Edu has yet to play in Philly, yet he's already cooler (and nerdier) than you #throughglass
- Man hits ridiculous halfcourt shot during West Chester U. halftime contest, but won't get his $10,000
- This outlandish Penn State-themed Christmas light display is going to cost a lot of money