John Hackworth’s response to Chip Kelly being called longest-tenured head coach in Philly: ‘It does piss me off’

Oct 9, 2013, 4:19 PM EDT

Union manager John Hackworth has plenty of pressure on his shoulders this season. Union manager John Hackworth has plenty of pressure on his shoulders this season.

Hey, have you heard Chip Kelly is the longest-tenured head coach in Philly?? Of course you have! Everybody, including major national sports outlets, was spouting out that “fact” on Monday after the Flyers fired Peter Laviolette.

Of course, there are some problems with it. In breathless attempts to get their Tweets out, a lot of people didn’t include the word “professional,” meaning college coaches could have been factored in. Also, most people didn’t specify they were talking about the “four major” sports, meaning Philadelphia Union manager John Hackworth was mostly left out of the conversation even though he’s been on the job longer than Kelly. And then, of course, there’s the issue of what constitutes “major” anymore.

If you look at average attendance, for instance, the Union have outdrawn the Sixers in three of the last four seasons. Does that mean they are one of the top four pro teams in Philly? Absolutely not. Does that mean we should maybe consider expanding the definition and saying there are five major professional franchises in Philly? Sure, why not?

After being introduced as the “longest-tenured pro coach in Philadelphia” to start his weekly press conference, Hackworth was asked about the whole thing (however dumb it may seem) and gave a pretty great response, downplaying it from a personal perspective but expressing annoyance that soccer can often be overlooked in this city. Here’s the entire quote:

The first answer is that I think that it doesn’t matter at all. It’s completely irrelevant, especially with how long [I’ve been the head coach]. It hasn’t been very long. The second answer is that it does piss me off, to be very clear. But it’s not about me. I think it’s incredible that in this day and age, in the world we live in, with how popular our sport is, that in a city that says that it is such a sports town, to say that, ‘Eh, it doesn’t count as one of the top professional sports.’ I think that’s crazy.”

Soccer certainly is popular in Philly, given that the Union usually sell out their beautiful 18,500-seat stadium in Chester. (For those saying that Hackworth shouldn’t be included in the longest-tenured coach conversation because the Union don’t play within the city limits, that argument doesn’t hold much water unless you also wouldn’t include the Giants and Cowboys in discussions about New York and Dallas sports.) And the fans are as passionate and critical as any of the city’s others four teams.

At the same time, the level of vitriol from the soccer-haters in the city is often too loud to brush off (see the comments that will invariably show up beneath this story). And perhaps even worse than that for the Union is getting ignored by so many sportswriters and sports talk personalities.

Amobi Okugo, one of Philly’s best young players and a big fan of many other sports, noticed the whole Chip-Kelly-longest-tenured-coach thing on Twitter and was asked about it after practice Wednesday. Here’s what he said:

“It’s crazy. Soccer’s still growing. Maybe if we can make the playoffs and the other teams stay on their downward spiral, we’ll get more recognition. I’m not wishing bad on the other teams but if we make the playoffs and do make a little run, it might get us a little more recognition. In the meantime, we’ve been like the little stepbrother no one cares about. But Philly loves winners. If we win, we’ll start getting some more recognition.”

Oh, that’s right. The Union are currently closing in on the playoffs with three games left in the regular season. Then, at least, John Hackworth will have the official title as the only pro head coach in town who’s made the playoffs.

Or something like that.

1. Brian - Oct 9, 2013 at 4:30 PM

This is really a silly argument. NFL, MLB, NHL, and NBA are universally regarded as the top leagues in their respective sports, the best of the best. MLS isn’t close to the best soccer league in the world.

• Kevin Kinkead - Oct 9, 2013 at 4:39 PM

That’s completely irrelevant of the story, which was specifically about Philadelphia and the popularity of LOCAL sports teams.

FACT: Union average attendance this year is about 17,500.

Think about that one.

• Bobby G - Oct 9, 2013 at 6:20 PM

Not only that, kk, but not being as good as other leagues doesn’t mean it isnt pro.

• Guest99 - Oct 10, 2013 at 6:41 AM

Average Attendance for sixers was 16,717. So slight edge there.

What are the average TV Rating comparisons? How many people watch the Union on TV compared tot he ones watching the Sixers?

And aren’t Union tickets cheaper? Wouldn’t that play a factor in getting a slightly higher percentage of people to go?

• James - Oct 11, 2013 at 12:44 PM

“Guest” tickets for the UNion go for $30+ each. If i recall correctly, last year a guy bought a whole row at a sixers game for around $0.80.

2. denny falcone - Oct 9, 2013 at 4:31 PM

cool story.

why he even addressed this issue is beyond me. has anyone asked him his thoughts on more people caring about the EPL than they do the third-rate MLS?

3. GTown_Dave - Oct 9, 2013 at 4:34 PM

Hackworth is the longest tenured head coach in Chester. Enjoy the prestige, John.

• Kevin Kinkead - Oct 9, 2013 at 4:40 PM

See, what’s funny about this one, is that more people are traveling to Chester to watch the Union than traveling to South Philly to see the Sixers.

• GTown_Dave - Oct 9, 2013 at 4:43 PM

That’s completely irrelevant of the story, which was specifically about the “longest-tenured pro coach in Philadelphia”.

• Kevin Kinkead - Oct 9, 2013 at 4:57 PM

It was relevant to your stupid comment.

• succer - Oct 9, 2013 at 8:50 PM

brilliantly stated

4. willh888 - Oct 9, 2013 at 4:43 PM

“I think it’s incredible that in this day and age, in the world we live in, with how popular our sport is, that in a city that says that it is such a sports town, to say that, ‘Eh, it doesn’t count as one of the top professional sports.’ I think that’s crazy.”

If I was a season ticket holder from day one, i’d be a little irritated by this comment. They have good fans, so what’s there to whine about? You don’t pitch a good sale by challenging Philly’s sports culture. No casual fan is going to gravitate towards soccer if this is the only impression

• Bobby G - Oct 9, 2013 at 6:11 PM

I disagree. while they do have a relatively decent fanbase, the team and sport get completely squashed in the media. 90% of the media hate it. And thats the key. As the article said, its all haters. Vitriol. People in this city dont just dislike or have little interest in soccer and leave it at that, they go out of their way to bash and demean it if it gets brought up. They go out of their way to make things awkward for union fans. Its annoying thst fans of a sport, in a supposed passionate city, have to explain themselves to self righteous blow hards, for simply being a fan.

The idiots on the wip morning show actually think letting their boys play soccer makes them more feminine. The rest of talk radio hosts and writers pretty much scoff at soccer and act as if someones trying to make them watch torture videos or something.

As the coach said, its pretty pathetic coming from a fanbase thst prides itself on being knowledgable and loyal. Its especially funny when I hear some nimrod like Glen Macnow bash soccer for being boring, and then turn around and talk about the riveting and action filled sport of golf. Pretty pathetic if you ask me.

• willh888 - Oct 9, 2013 at 11:10 PM

Man, you have to do your part. If you want casual fans to latch onto the team and release themselves from all that vitrol, don’t act like babies when your sport doesn’t get it’s recognition. You guys cry about wanting fans, then you piss on the people who don’t really get soccer yet. Make your sport impossible to dislike. You and this coach, not a great start. I’m one of those guys who wants to like soccer.. love the fact all the die hards have a team to call your own, and im completely turned off by elite soccer bro’s who simply have no idea how to come together and unite (hint, your team is the UNION).

We want to like it, so it’s your job to welcome us with open arms, not to trot around like a weirdo every time soccer doesn’t get it’s recognition

• Bobby G - Oct 10, 2013 at 7:54 AM

Dude whatre you talking about? Youre turning soccer haters into the victims? I dont know any soccer fans who piss on people who are on the fence. Soccer fans in america are generally very open armed because of how mich it gets a bad rap. I dont know what soccer fans you know thst are elitist, but I guarantee you that whatever small percentage of them are, are greatly outnumbered by the way more elitist fans of other sports who utterly bash soccer for no reason. I mean, you talk as if union fans are to blame for this citys hatred of soccer; as if this supposed “elitism” in our fanbase was gone then all the soccer haters would cease to exist. Not true. At all.

• willh888 - Oct 10, 2013 at 8:39 AM

“its pretty pathetic coming from a fanbase thst prides itself on being knowledgable and loyal. ”

“Soccer fans in america are generally very open armed”

You illustrated my point.

To add, soccer seems fun. It starts with the awesome atmosphere. Ignore the dumb dumbs and embrace casual fans rather than lumping people together and ripping the sports-base as a whole. No better way to alienate potential fans.

5. Jimk - Oct 9, 2013 at 5:10 PM

How long has the soul, wings, coaches been around? Cause if your counting soccer, you have to count those one too.
    Soccer sucks

• Kevin Kinkead - Oct 9, 2013 at 5:19 PM

Except that the Soul averaged 9,000 per game the Wings averaged 8,000 per game in 2013.

2013 attendance:

Soul + Wings = ~17,000
      Union = ~ 17,500

Nice try though.

• denny falcone - Oct 9, 2013 at 5:27 PM

kind of weird for a philadelphiaunion.com employee on here sparring with people and slamming other sports teams in the market.

take the emmy out of your ass and take a chill pill, cutie pie.

• Kevin Kinkead - Oct 9, 2013 at 5:30 PM

I can sit on here and post facts all day long.

I’m still waiting for you guys to give me something better than “soccer sucks”.

Your turn.

• denny falcone - Oct 9, 2013 at 5:39 PM

Soccer doesn’t suck. The MLS does.

Love watching players who can’t cut it abroad. Thierry Henry is so far passed his prime it isn’t even funny yet he dominates the MLS because the quality of play is grossly underwhelming.

I’d rather wake up at 7:45am to watch real soccer than drive 45 minuets to Chester to hang out with a bunch of scarf wearing wannabes.

• Kevin Kinkead - Oct 9, 2013 at 6:10 PM

Thierry Henry came over here at age 32.

He’s been in the league for 3 1/2 seasons and hasn’t won a single trophy.

He’s got 9 goals this year, which isn’t even in the top 10. He doesn’t even lead his own team in goals this season (Tim Cahill) and he didn’t lead the Red Bulls in goals last season (Kenny Cooper)

2013: 9 goals, 14th place on the scoring charts (beat out by 4 Americans, including 2 Union players)
        2012: 15 goals, 5th place on the scoring charts (beat out by 2 Americans)
        2011: 14 goals, 3rd place on the scoring charts (beat out by a Canadian and American)

Not exactly domination in my opinion.

• Bobby G - Oct 9, 2013 at 6:25 PM

Hey denny, if youd “rather wake up at 7:45am to watch real soccer than drive 45 minuets to Chester to hang out with a bunch of scarf wearing wannabes” then go do it and leave the rest of us alone. This is the problem with dipshi.ts like you. You cant just keep your dislike of the sport/league to yourself. You have to go the extra mile and spit on it. Go fck yourself.

• J - Oct 9, 2013 at 7:36 PM

KK and Bobby G:
        Did you ever consider that a lot of the soccer “haters” are simply F’ing with you because they know how easily soccer fanboys get their panties in a bunch? I’m a huge ice hockey fan, but I know there are plenty of people that don’t like/get the sport. So if someone wants to talk about it like an adult, and give their opinions about why they think it “sucks,” etc. I’d gladly engage in a conversation with them and share why I think its a great sport. But if their only response to why it supposedly sucks is “because it does (or equivalent of that)” then I don’t give a damn about that person’s opinion. I suggest you take a similar tactic and spend your time on more worthwhile pursuits; like reading Teenbeat or whatever it is soccer fans do when they’re not watching/playing ;)

• Kevin Kinkead - Oct 9, 2013 at 7:58 PM

I’m well aware. Sometimes I can’t help myself.

• denny falcone - Oct 9, 2013 at 9:38 PM

that’s not very nice, bobby g. do you union fans have a specific song you sing when you jerk each other off in the river end?

• Jimk - Oct 10, 2013 at 7:58 AM

What does that have to do with anything? They are all considered pro sports teams. The point was no one considers soul, wings, union in the same class as flyers, phils, sixers, and eagles. I like the vast majority of sports fans in this town don’t care about any of those 3 teams. That’s why no one talks about them on our 2 sports talk radio stations. I would rather be forced to watch a 3 hour long marathon of sister, sister; while my nuts were in a seat clamp than watch a union game.
        Soccer still sucks.

Nice try though.

• willh888 - Oct 10, 2013 at 8:45 AM

“Go fck yourself.”

I do. Thank you xhmster

6. Factcheck - Oct 9, 2013 at 5:11 PM

“If you look at average attendance, for instance, the Union have outdrawn the Sixers in three of the last four seasons. ”

This is a very misleading turn of phrase, making it sound like the lowly sixers outdrew the Union in 1 of the 4 seasons. However, what it actually means is that in their first 3 seasons, the Union outdrew the sixers, and in this, their 4th season, Union attendance should have no problem beating a rebuilding sixers, who have yet to start their season. This assumes you are basing it on calendar year seasons that begin with MLB/MLS spring starts; if you base it around the beginning of sixers seasons, the Union have already outdrawn them 4 times, as it’s mathematically impossible for 2013 Union attendance to fall below the 2012-13 sixers.

The sixers are not a big 4 team in Philadelphia. In the past 27 seasons (1985-86, first year of the current Wings), the sixers have been outdrawn 8 times by the Wings, 3 times by the Soul, and 3 (soon to be 4) times by the Union. So out of 27 sixers seasons, more than half (14) of them have been as the 5th place team in Philly sports attendance.

7. Mickey - Oct 9, 2013 at 5:33 PM

I remember Bernard Hopkins pissed off because of the complaining that we hadn’t had a champion in this city since 1983 (at the time). Meanwhile he was undefeated in like a million consecutive title defenses. Not a team sport, but at the time he wasn’t getting his props given what he accomplished.

8. Chico Resch - Oct 9, 2013 at 6:15 PM

Soccer is on the come up, nationwide and locally. MLS isn’t there yet from a quality standpoint, but it may get there sooner rather than later. Never understood all the trolls who just pipe in with “soccer sucks”. I think golf sucks, but I don’t troll the comment section on golf.com. Bottom line, though is that Philly sports is in a seriously low point when Hackworth is the dean of pro Philly sports. I’d count the Wings and Soul, but you know, those sports suck. Yeah, that’s sarcasm.

9. Tim - Oct 9, 2013 at 6:45 PM

I wouldn’t watch the Sixer’s if they were playing in my backyard let alone drive to South Philly!

10. Willy - Oct 9, 2013 at 7:43 PM

Stop trying to make soccer “happen”, people.

• chrislehmann - Oct 10, 2013 at 9:12 AM

Why? It seems to have a reasonably large following, you know, world-wide.

• Cole L - Oct 10, 2013 at 10:09 AM

I thought this was America! Huh? Isn’t this America? I’m sorry, I thought this was America.

• willy - Oct 10, 2013 at 10:55 AM

It has a large following in the world because the majority of the world’s population is too poor to afford sports with equipment. Thus, kicking a round object around is the default game; all you need is something round!

The reason soccer struggles for legitimacy in America is that there are so many alternatives that are more interesting, more fun, and castigate over-the-top celebrations and faked injuries that define soccer. If a hockey player fakes an injury he is penalized and immediately loses legitimacy, and would become a target by opposing teams and become disliked by his teammates and the fans. In soccer it is encouraged and rewarded by fans and officials. Disgusting.

11. by2117 - Oct 9, 2013 at 8:24 PM

Soccer is not a sport. It’s a conspiracy dreamed up by immigrants who don’t understand football or baseball. In all seriousness though when the big 4 leagues are trying to tweak their sports so scoring rises soccer doesn’t stand a chance. Face it the majority can’t stand 1-0 games.

• Tim - Oct 9, 2013 at 10:01 PM

Apparently nobody wants to watch 6′-8″ guys run up and down a court and miss jump shots either….if any sport needed to change it would be basketball…..the Sixer’s are practically giving tickets away to get people there.

I enjoy going to Union games, especially after watching this summers Phillies team!

12. succer - Oct 9, 2013 at 8:45 PM

aw is he mad? thats cute

i had no idea what the dudes name was before this article

• mike - Oct 10, 2013 at 10:47 AM

Why is ignorance something you brag about?

You should brag about knowing things. You shouldn’t brag about not knowing things.

I really can’t stand the whole “Look at me. I’m stupid. That makes me cool.” mentality. It’s possibly the worst mentality to have.

13. David Rudenstein - Oct 9, 2013 at 9:47 PM

Soccer has very loyal fan base but not generally accepted as a major sport in Phila-not as its constituted. Major league soccer is played in other countries-not here. Its good, competitive, but not the way its played at top levels in Europe. Getting past that, Union does NOT play in Phila. If they did, I would be more likely to stick up for Coach. My advice: not a big deal-concentrate on making Union better and a more viable, general sports product.

14. Gmoney - Oct 9, 2013 at 11:05 PM

18500? really? High school football games sell that many tickets where I live. I like international soccer competition (world cup, the qualifiers, European Championship) but MLS is about as appealing to me as NFL Europe was to much of Europe.

15. duhh - Oct 9, 2013 at 11:44 PM

I am a huge soccer fan , I love the sport and I can watch it any time. But not the MLS. its like watching highschool soccer. the quality of play is horrendous. see how many fans turn out to watch RM or MU when they do their american tour because most soccer fans realize the mls is garbage and would much rather watch any european league.

and the “four major sports” are generally referred to as the four biggest sports in the nation. so while the sixers suck and cant draw anyone to watch, basketball is still much bigger of a sport then the MLS will ever be. I dont mind Union fans, go nuts, enjoy you sons of ben, but stop whining.

16. JackMeOff - Oct 10, 2013 at 12:23 AM

Hey Kevin Kinkead i heard you blow the unions goalie

17. Joe P - Oct 10, 2013 at 2:42 AM

I use to be a massive hater when it came to soccer. But when I learned we were getting the Union, I gave it a chance. To this day, I’m not interested in premier league teams, and I certainly wouldn’t get up to watch them if I was. But I watch EVERY Union game. Why? Because they’re OURS. People need to relish the fact that we have five major professional sports teams. Places like Baltimore or Pitssburgh only have two or three. The saddest part is when fans of one Philly sports team rip on another. Eagles fans ripping on Flyers fans, Phillies Fans ripping on Sixers fans. If you’re a true sports lover and a true Philadelphian, there’s is NOT ONE reason you shouldn’t support all five of the city’s major teams. In a perfect world, you’re a fan of all five. Otherwise, you can take a flying leap and fuck off.

18. Johnny Adams - Oct 10, 2013 at 5:55 AM

John Hackworth was a Coach Philadelphia Eagles and Youth Development Coordinator for the team beginning in 2010..

19. Alex - Oct 10, 2013 at 7:03 AM

I am a former Union season ticket holder and I still get out to a few games a year. First off, the 17,500 figure is PAID attendance not actually turnstile numbers. Many Union games especially in cold or rainy weather draw half or less of that number. Secondly, the argument that they outdraw the 76ers is weak at best. Just because the 76ers are in a painful rebuilding mode and the building is half empty doesn’t mean that somehow the Union in the MLS eclipse the NBA. The NBA and Sixers ratings and merchandise sales dwarf the Union and MLS. The vast majority of Philadelphia fans consider the Sixers, Flyers, Phillies, and Eagles to be the “four major sports”, that’s just the reality of the situation no disrespect. When soccer ( union fans) try to call WIP or 97.5 and complain about the lack of soccer coverage or talk, the hosts have to politely (or some of them rudely) remind these fans that they talk about the topics that the callers want to talk about, they discuss topics that are relevant to their ratings, thus there is just not enough buzz in the region for soccer to be considered on the same level as the other 4. I still like going to games and I hope someday the Union might actually accrue some real talent and contend for something. Right now they are a back door playoff team with no chance at success. I do wish them all the best though.

• mike - Oct 10, 2013 at 11:00 AM

It’s not rebuilding if you have been terrible for 20 out of the past 25 years. When I was in high school in the 90′s, they used to give out free Sixers tickets all of the time. Since they traded Barkley, there were a few good years with Iverson. But there has been no real juice for the Sixers since about 2004.

• Factcheck - Oct 10, 2013 at 3:45 PM

every sport uses ticket sales to report attendance, not turnstile count.

Last year the Philadelphia Union had better attendance than 17 NHL teams (although 5 of those had 100%), and 16 NBA teams.

And WIP is not the arbiter of relevance in Philly sports. If you go by WIP you might be mislead into thinking the sixers are on par with the Flyers, which is absurd. Soccer fans have to lie to the engineers to get on the air, they will turn away soccer calls, just like they turn away hockey call much of the time. It’s a catch-22, many people I know stopped listening to WIP years ago because they only want to talk Eagles and sixers, and would rather talk about LeBron James than the Flyers most of the time.

20. WhoAreTheseSixersYouSpeakOf - Oct 10, 2013 at 9:00 AM

Which of the Union, Wings, Soul have their own specific stadium built primarily for them?
    Which of the Union, Wings, Soul have each of their games shown on TV?
    How many Philadelphians latched onto Smarty Jones? Get this, he was a Chester County product, not Delaware County (where Chester is), nor Philadelphia.
    This is a non-story, and I’m glad to see all the knuckle draggers stop daydreaming about winning the Wing Bowl to participate.
    As you were …
    Oh, and who are these Sixers people keep speaking of?

21. CJ - Oct 10, 2013 at 9:32 AM

I had no idea who John Hackworth was before this article.

22. Da Bag - Oct 10, 2013 at 10:35 AM

MLS needs fighting.

• 2sentz - Oct 10, 2013 at 12:11 PM

Does flopping count as fighting? That’s my biggest beef with soccer. When the most a player can do to advance his team is to flop around on the ground holding his skull when nobody came within a foot of him, that’s where I get off this bus. It’s not a sports talent, and definitely not a Philly thang.

• Da Bag - Oct 10, 2013 at 12:53 PM

No, flopping should be followed by fighting.

• Broadsthooligans - Oct 10, 2013 at 9:56 PM

MLS has repeatedly taken one of the harshest stances in world soccer against flopping. After Costa Rica’s Joel campbell’s dive which earned the USA’s Matt Besler a yellow card many MLS fans were shocked. Given the same play in MLS Campbell would have been fined and the yellow card would have been removed from Besler and given to Campbell along with a suspension. That’s how MLS treats flopping, harshly, because they know that is what the US public wants to see.

On a related note i honestly believe that diving is no more prevalent or outlandish in international soccer than it is in the NBA. MLS has repeatedly taken a hassling stance against it beyond almost any sports league in the world.

23. Andrew Keen - Oct 10, 2013 at 11:57 AM

Winning may not be enough to make Philadelphians care about the Union. Just look at the Philadelphia Soul. I’m sorry to say, but I was one of those people that forgot Philadelphia had a soccer team when everyone started saying, “Chip Kelly is the longest tenured head coach in the city.” I actually like watching soccer too. But, I don’t know anyone who watches MLS.

24. Frank - Oct 10, 2013 at 12:23 PM

I can’t wait for all your children and grandchildren to fall in love with soccer. The beautiful game is already pulling heavily from the ranks of other youth sports — this is actually true, sorry. Not to mention the ever-growing immigrant population, completely uninterested in the “major” sports. Just you wait, soon soccer will dominate and we’ll laugh about how it once wasn’t considered “major.”

One sidenote: Yes, soccer is popular around the world b/c of it’s low cost. Now just imagine if we could get soccer balls, rather than basketballs, in the ghettos of America.

That is all. Go Union!

• 2sentz - Oct 10, 2013 at 12:30 PM

Unfortunately this was no more true when I first read it in 1972.

• Frank - Oct 10, 2013 at 12:34 PM

A lot has changed, bud. Good try, though.

• Jimk - Oct 10, 2013 at 12:53 PM

2cents is right on, people have been saying that since the 70′s. I know soccer people hate hearing it, but the game is boring. It’s not entertaining enough for general public to get into it. Not enough scoring or violence.
        Soccer sucks, no matter whats changed.

• 2sentz - Oct 10, 2013 at 5:46 PM

Frank I’ll give you one caveat:
        The only recent tangible change in US soccer culture I’ve seen is the introduction of Premiere League games on US TV. Introducing that high level of play to US audiences who are otherwise stuck with MLS could increase the sport’s interest and popularity. But getting folks to watch even one Premiere match is the problem. Folks over here are largely stuck in the mindset that all soccer is as god-awful boring as MLS because it’s all they know. And some of those who do give it a view may still think the Premiere League is too boring. Soccer has trouble keeping pace with America’s high entertainment threshold, plain & simple. And it always will.

• Tom - Oct 10, 2013 at 12:36 PM

“if we could get soccer balls, rather than basketballs, in the ghettos of America.”
      They still shoot each other.

• Frank - Oct 10, 2013 at 12:39 PM

Constructive comment, thanks.

25. Tom - Oct 10, 2013 at 12:31 PM

The most surprising thing here is that the team has press conferences and reporters show up to them.