Dec 18, 2013, 10:56 AM EST
So, this is the first Philadelphia Union post in a while. Have I decided to stop writing about the Union for The Level? No. Am I too busy dealing with a 2-year-old and a pregnant wife to write about the Union? Well … yes .. but, no.
All has been quiet on the Union front because absolutely, positively nothing is happening down at PPL Park.
While the rest of the league shuffles the deck — including archrival D.C. United trading for U.S. National Team player Eddie Johnson (a likely lock for next summer’s World Cup roster) on Tuesday — the Union are sitting idly by. A few players are on their way out, like Kleberson and Rogger Torres, and just one player — midfielder Corben Bone, who was acquired from the Chicago Fire in the re-entry draft – is on his way in so far (there are a few interesting names in Wednesday’s second stage of the re-entry draft — maybe former Red Bull defender Heath Pearce? — but it’s not really the place to make waves).
(Homegrown midfielder and Dresher native Zach Pfeffer may also be a new face for many Union fans, but he’s been under contract with the Union since 2010. He has just returned from a long loan in Germany, and could be a player to watch if he earns a roster spot this season.)
So, John Hackworth, Why so quiet? Hackworth said just a few months ago that change was needed, and given the team’s late-season collapse, it definitely is.
One reason for the Union to wait could be next month’s MLS SuperDraft (Jan. 16 at the Pa. Convention Center). The Union have the second pick and sixth pick in the first round, two picks in the second round, three picks in the third round and one in the fourth.
With all those picks, I’ve been trying to withhold judgment on the Union offseason until after the draft. There’s no way the Union will use all eight picks on players they plan to keep. And I know there are probably discussions already underway involving those picks that won’t be finalized until draft day.
All those picks are great, but the Union fanbase is not looking for more players who have tons of potential but are years away from contributing. It’s put up or shut up time for the Union in 2014. It’s time to be a contender. And there are players out there — from potential European designated players to experienced MLS veterans — who would immediately make this team better.
Every day the Union sit on the sidelines, another one of those players finds a new home. I’m not saying Eddie Johnson was the answer for the Union (he is not), but the fans in Philly are tired of watching the big names go elsewhere while asking, “Who is Corben Bone? (A: a once-promising midfielder who played just 18 games since 2010.
So, the Union have draft picks to deal, holes to fill and PLENTY of Allocation Money to spend (I won’t even try to explain allocation money – Major League’s Soccer’s mysterious currency — since I understand it only slightly better than Bitcoins). They need a playmaking midfielder, an upgrade at left back, some depth on defense and many, many other pieces.
If nothing else, a juicy player rumor or two would be nice.
|charlie d on Jayson Stark on Larry Bowa, th…|
|dawkisgod on Jayson Stark on Larry Bowa, th…|
|dawkisgod on Matchday: Eagles linemen get y…|
|Jason R. on The Evster compares the Sixers…|
- New clips reveal Outkast’s Andre 3000 as Jimi Hendrix in All Is By My Side’
- Crumbling and stumbling: L&I says it doesn't know how many buildings have collapsed in Philly
- ▶ PhillyTawk: The Phluphian Dialect - YouTube
- San Francisco Mint Says Rare 1800s Gold Coins Have No Link To Thefts « CBS San Francisco
- Watch: The most Nick Young shot attempt in the history of Nick Young shot attempts
- Happy Black Friday: Evan Turner will pay you $500 for a $229 TV
- Shawn Andrews accuses Donovan McNabb of mistreatment, says he requested a trade
- Apparently, Darren Daulton had to stop Mitch Williams from 'attacking' Lenny Dykstra on Saturday
- Just 6 days to kickoff: Video to get ready for Union opener, some "kit" talk, and #USMNT shirts
- Maurice Edu has yet to play in Philly, yet he's already cooler (and nerdier) than you #throughglass
- Man hits ridiculous halfcourt shot during West Chester U. halftime contest, but won't get his $10,000
- This outlandish Penn State-themed Christmas light display is going to cost a lot of money
- Eagles #FlyEaglesFly team release another awesome video featuring DeSean's miracle return