May 22, 2011, 10:33 AM EDT
The Union found a way to do something they hadn’t all season to date—score a pair of goals. They topped the Chicago Fire by a 2-1 count to stay unbeaten at PPL Park this season. Carlos Ruiz had without a doubt the play of the night, and not only because it broke the 1-all tie in 76th minute. Watch this BOMBO:
Left-footed. Sorry to say that’s a local boy, Jon Conway, on the receiving end in Chicago’s net. Good to see him in town in any case.
Full highlights and video below.
The Union were able to generate some great opportunities against an inferior side, with a few dangerous shots just missing the target. Michael Farfan scored the game’s first goal, the first of his career, taking a feed from Kyle Nakazawa on a free kick and burying it from distance. Farfan had another brilliant chance off a sneaky throw from Justin Mapp, but narrowly missed. Unfortunately, the 22-year-old midfielder was also absolutely broken down by Dominic Oduro in the 68th minute, with Oduro slicing by him at the top of the box and then beating Faryd Mondragon.
El Pescadito really needed that goal too. Fan favorite Danny Mwanga wasn’t available due to a hamstring issue, and Ruiz needed a marker to get back on track. What a way to do it…
Props to Sheanon Williams for a goal-saving deflection on the goal line in the 70th minutes. The Fire’s Gaston Puerari looked to have Mondragon beaten, but Williams had his back and kept the game level.
|fknboz on Nerlens Noel played 4-on-4 tod…|
|Andrew M on Nerlens Noel played 4-on-4 tod…|
|Mostel on Patrick Chung’s reign of…|
|Scott B on What happens on April 4th,…|
- Watch: The most Nick Young shot attempt in the history of Nick Young shot attempts
- Happy Black Friday: Evan Turner will pay you $500 for a $229 TV
- Shawn Andrews accuses Donovan McNabb of mistreatment, says he requested a trade
- Apparently, Darren Daulton had to stop Mitch Williams from 'attacking' Lenny Dykstra on Saturday
- Just 6 days to kickoff: Video to get ready for Union opener, some "kit" talk, and #USMNT shirts
- Maurice Edu has yet to play in Philly, yet he's already cooler (and nerdier) than you #throughglass
- Man hits ridiculous halfcourt shot during West Chester U. halftime contest, but won't get his $10,000
- This outlandish Penn State-themed Christmas light display is going to cost a lot of money
- Eagles #FlyEaglesFly team release another awesome video featuring DeSean's miracle return