Philadelphia Union eliminated from U.S. Open Cup after giving up one of the worst goals in franchise history
Jun 13, 2013, 3:30 PM EDT
The Philadelphia Union are no longer playing in the U.S. Open Cup (no, not that golf tournament going on in Merion right now; the 100-year-old knockout soccer tournament that takes place during the MLS season).
To see why the Philadelphia Union are no longer playing in the U.S. Open Cup, go to the 0:52 mark of the video above and watch the lowlight of one of the worst goals the team has ever given up.
It happened late in last night’s fourth-round U.S. Open Cup match against rival D.C. United. With the Union trying to wage a comeback (a little bit earlier, Jack McInerney did what he does and scored a goal to slice D.C.’s lead to 2-1), goalie Zac MacMath came way off his line to play a ball along the sideline. He then made a short pass to center back Jeff Parke, which D.C. United’s Dwayne De Rosario noticed was “a little spicy.” De Rosario, one of the best players in MLS history, then booked it from about 40 yards away, jumped on a terrible first touch from Parke and one-timed a shot from close to midfield into a net abandoned by MacMath.
Yes, it was essentially an empty-net goal … in soccer. And it not only gave De Rosario a well-deserved hat trick but also sealed a 3-1 win for D.C. United and a trip to the U.S. Open Cup quarterfinals. The Union, meanwhile, will bow out of a historic tournament they place a lot of value in and miss out on a chance to hoist the fourth-year franchise’s first-ever trophy.
You can also watch De Rosario’s other two goals in the video, which put the hosts up 2-0. And to get a sense of what Union manager John Hackworth thought about the loss, here’s what he told reporters when asked about the Union’s very slow start to the game.
“It’s unacceptable. I don’t understand it. I don’t get it. It’s unacceptable.”
So you’re saying it’s not acceptable?
Dave Zeitlin covers the Union for MLSsoccer.com, CSNPhilly.com and The 700 Level.
|Jim Anderson on Marlon Byrd claims Phillies ar…|
|kirk on Video proof that Wayne Simmond…|
|Andrew Kulp on Counting Down the Eagles’ Need…|
|Jim on Counting Down the Eagles’ Need…|
- Watch: The most Nick Young shot attempt in the history of Nick Young shot attempts
- Happy Black Friday: Evan Turner will pay you $500 for a $229 TV
- Shawn Andrews accuses Donovan McNabb of mistreatment, says he requested a trade
- Apparently, Darren Daulton had to stop Mitch Williams from 'attacking' Lenny Dykstra on Saturday
- Just 6 days to kickoff: Video to get ready for Union opener, some "kit" talk, and #USMNT shirts
- Maurice Edu has yet to play in Philly, yet he's already cooler (and nerdier) than you #throughglass
- Man hits ridiculous halfcourt shot during West Chester U. halftime contest, but won't get his $10,000
- This outlandish Penn State-themed Christmas light display is going to cost a lot of money
- Eagles #FlyEaglesFly team release another awesome video featuring DeSean's miracle return