Jan 6, 2012, 12:08 AM EDT
Major League Soccer unveiled its 2012 regular season schedule on Thursday. The Union, who qualified for the playoffs in just its second season, open the season on the road in Portland in a nationally televised game (ESPN2) on March 12th.
The home opener is March 18th against the Colorado Rapids, another nationally televised game, this time on the newly launched NBC Sports. In all, 14 of the Union’s 34 games will be broadcast on national television.
Nine of the 14 games to be televised nationally are home games. The network partners, wanting to broadcast games in sold out, raucous venues clearly recognized the atmosphere created by Union fans at PPL Park.
Full Schedule After the Jump…
With Montreal entering the league MLS has switched to an unbalanced schedule. The Union will no longer play each MLS team home and away. Instead, an emphasis has been placed on cultivating regional rivalries. With that in mind, the Union will face New York Red Bulls and D.C. United three times each.
Another one of the rationales behind the unbalanced schedule was to reduce travel for the teams. As a result, the Union will not play away games at Salt Lake City, Vancouver, Colorado or San Jose. On the flip side, the PPL faithful will miss out on visits by LA, Portland, Seattle and Dallas.
If you are looking to book a Union road trip, you could do a whole lot worse than Montreal on August 4th. Beyond that, heading to Seattle on May 5th would be a great trip. The environment at Sounders games is bonkers. If you’re looking for something a bit closer to home, then Toronto on May 26th would be a solid choice.
T-minus 9-weeks until the season opener.
|brandonphilly on Defenseman Signing Day: Flyers…|
|CD on Sixers locked into lottery #2…|
|NBA lottery is rigge… on Sixers locked into lottery #2…|
|J on CEO Scott O’Neil promise…|
- Ask the Maester: Answers to Your Questions About the Royal Wedding Aftermath (and Other Issues of Great Import) «
- Three Thoughts on Stephen Colbert’s Sudden Ascension to David Letterman’s Late-Night Throne «
- First Phillies game
- Billy Hamilton just scored from third base on a pop fly behind second | HardballTalk
- DeSean Jackson releases statement, denies any gang ties
- Swaggy uPdates: Nick Young gets in a hold-me-back fight, has sneakers stolen, and celebrates a missed 3
- Watch: The most Nick Young shot attempt in the history of Nick Young shot attempts
- Happy Black Friday: Evan Turner will pay you $500 for a $229 TV
- St. Joe's Ron Roberts is in the dunk contest tonight; we collected his most awesome YouTube clips
- Just 6 days to kickoff: Video to get ready for Union opener, some "kit" talk, and #USMNT shirts
- Maurice Edu has yet to play in Philly, yet he's already cooler (and nerdier) than you #throughglass
- Man hits ridiculous halfcourt shot during West Chester U. halftime contest, but won't get his $10,000
- This outlandish Penn State-themed Christmas light display is going to cost a lot of money