Jul 3, 2011, 12:07 PM EDT
Looking to maintain their place atop the Eastern Conference table the Union went into D.C. last night and picked up an important road point. The Union twice battled back from being down a goal and left RFK Stadium with a 2-2 draw.
The Union fell behind early as some lax marking allowed Dwayne De Rosario way too much time on the ball in the box. DeRo slotted a ball across the six yard box where Josh Wolff had a simple tap in to give D.C. the lead.
Video after the Jump…
Peter Nowak’s ever rotating group of forwards featured prominently in this one and helped the Union level the score.Veljko Paunovic served a ball into the box, intended for the streaking Sebastien Le Toux, who made a well-timed run, which United rookie defender Perry Kitchen misplayed past D.C. keeper Bill Hamid for an own goal.
Nine minutes later Andy Najar lashed a 30+ yard rocket past Faryd Mondragon to put United back in front 2-1. Again, the marking was soft as Najar took advantage of a gap in the midfield and made the Union pay with a class goal from distance.
After several chances the Union finally tied things up with a Carlos Ruiz goal in the 84th minutes. Le Toux played a gorgeous diagonal ball into the box. Sheannon Williams, who continues to impress with his ability to get forward down the flank, found Carlos Ruiz in front, who shielded his defender and redirected the ball past Hamid.
New York, who has a game in hand on the Union, settled for a 2-2 draw against San Jose last night, which means that the Union remain in first place in the East, with 27 points from 17 games.
The Union head west next weekend where they’ll face San Jose on Saturday, July 9.
Photo Credit: Rafael Suanes-US PRESSWIRE
|Phil From Mt Airy on Nerlens Noel played 4-on-4 tod…|
|fknboz on Nerlens Noel played 4-on-4 tod…|
|Andrew M on Nerlens Noel played 4-on-4 tod…|
|Mostel on Patrick Chung’s reign of…|
- Watch: The most Nick Young shot attempt in the history of Nick Young shot attempts
- Happy Black Friday: Evan Turner will pay you $500 for a $229 TV
- Shawn Andrews accuses Donovan McNabb of mistreatment, says he requested a trade
- Apparently, Darren Daulton had to stop Mitch Williams from 'attacking' Lenny Dykstra on Saturday
- Just 6 days to kickoff: Video to get ready for Union opener, some "kit" talk, and #USMNT shirts
- Maurice Edu has yet to play in Philly, yet he's already cooler (and nerdier) than you #throughglass
- Man hits ridiculous halfcourt shot during West Chester U. halftime contest, but won't get his $10,000
- This outlandish Penn State-themed Christmas light display is going to cost a lot of money
- Eagles #FlyEaglesFly team release another awesome video featuring DeSean's miracle return