Jul 3, 2011, 12:07 PM EDT
Looking to maintain their place atop the Eastern Conference table the Union went into D.C. last night and picked up an important road point. The Union twice battled back from being down a goal and left RFK Stadium with a 2-2 draw.
The Union fell behind early as some lax marking allowed Dwayne De Rosario way too much time on the ball in the box. DeRo slotted a ball across the six yard box where Josh Wolff had a simple tap in to give D.C. the lead.
Video after the Jump…
Peter Nowak’s ever rotating group of forwards featured prominently in this one and helped the Union level the score.Veljko Paunovic served a ball into the box, intended for the streaking Sebastien Le Toux, who made a well-timed run, which United rookie defender Perry Kitchen misplayed past D.C. keeper Bill Hamid for an own goal.
Nine minutes later Andy Najar lashed a 30+ yard rocket past Faryd Mondragon to put United back in front 2-1. Again, the marking was soft as Najar took advantage of a gap in the midfield and made the Union pay with a class goal from distance.
After several chances the Union finally tied things up with a Carlos Ruiz goal in the 84th minutes. Le Toux played a gorgeous diagonal ball into the box. Sheannon Williams, who continues to impress with his ability to get forward down the flank, found Carlos Ruiz in front, who shielded his defender and redirected the ball past Hamid.
New York, who has a game in hand on the Union, settled for a 2-2 draw against San Jose last night, which means that the Union remain in first place in the East, with 27 points from 17 games.
The Union head west next weekend where they’ll face San Jose on Saturday, July 9.
Photo Credit: Rafael Suanes-US PRESSWIRE
|willh888 on Mason out: Ray Emery is your F…|
|Matt S. on Michael Carter-Williams is you…|
|FlyersFan on Defenseman Signing Day: Flyers…|
|rw on Sixers locked into lottery #2…|
- Ask the Maester: Answers to Your Questions About the Royal Wedding Aftermath (and Other Issues of Great Import) «
- Three Thoughts on Stephen Colbert’s Sudden Ascension to David Letterman’s Late-Night Throne «
- First Phillies game
- Billy Hamilton just scored from third base on a pop fly behind second | HardballTalk
- DeSean Jackson releases statement, denies any gang ties
- Swaggy uPdates: Nick Young gets in a hold-me-back fight, has sneakers stolen, and celebrates a missed 3
- Watch: The most Nick Young shot attempt in the history of Nick Young shot attempts
- Happy Black Friday: Evan Turner will pay you $500 for a $229 TV
- St. Joe's Ron Roberts is in the dunk contest tonight; we collected his most awesome YouTube clips
- Just 6 days to kickoff: Video to get ready for Union opener, some "kit" talk, and #USMNT shirts
- Maurice Edu has yet to play in Philly, yet he's already cooler (and nerdier) than you #throughglass
- Man hits ridiculous halfcourt shot during West Chester U. halftime contest, but won't get his $10,000
- This outlandish Penn State-themed Christmas light display is going to cost a lot of money