Jul 17, 2011, 1:33 PM EDT
The US Women look to cap their magical run in the Women’s World Cup with a win in the final this afternoon in Frankfurt, Germany against Japan (Coverage begins at 2PM/ESPN).
After escaping with a miraculous win in the quarterfinals against Brazil the Americans shook off any potential hangover from that thrilling game and topped France 3-1 in the semis. However, the scoreline was not truly indicative of the how close the game was.
France controlled possession for long stretches of the match. The US was fortunate to stay level at 1-1 before Abby Wambach emphatically headed home the game winner off of a corner kick. Alex Morgan’s composed chip over the French keeper provided the final margin of victory, but the result was in doubt as late as the 78th minute.
Japan, like the US, finished in second place in its group. They knocked off two-time defending Women’s World Cup Champs and tournament hosts Germany. They advanced to the final with a 3-1 win over Sweden.
For an afternoon put aside the question as to whether women’s professional soccer will catch on here in the States. Simply watch the game and enjoy the aerial prowess of Abby Wambach, the athleticism of Hope Solo, and the darting runs of Megan Rapinoe.
Can they add another star above the US Soccer crest? The US is ninety minutes away from becoming the first ever three-time Women’s World Cup Champion.
Photo Credit: Witters Sport-US PRESSWIRE
|aspohr89 on It doesn’t matter what w…|
|Tom on Union have real chance to make…|
|Craig on It doesn’t matter what w…|
|t800m101 on Interesting theory on Jake Vor…|
- DeSean Jackson releases statement, denies any gang ties
- Swaggy uPdates: Nick Young gets in a hold-me-back fight, has sneakers stolen, and celebrates a missed 3
- Watch: The most Nick Young shot attempt in the history of Nick Young shot attempts
- Happy Black Friday: Evan Turner will pay you $500 for a $229 TV
- St. Joe's Ron Roberts is in the dunk contest tonight; we collected his most awesome YouTube clips
- Just 6 days to kickoff: Video to get ready for Union opener, some "kit" talk, and #USMNT shirts
- Maurice Edu has yet to play in Philly, yet he's already cooler (and nerdier) than you #throughglass
- Man hits ridiculous halfcourt shot during West Chester U. halftime contest, but won't get his $10,000
- This outlandish Penn State-themed Christmas light display is going to cost a lot of money