Mar 28, 2011, 9:32 PM EST
I have to admit that after looking at it for the first time it was a
bit jarring to see the Union listed at the top of the Eastern Conference
table. Sure, it’s been just one game, but it certainly was different
seeing a 0 in the loss column. Being on the good side of .500 for the
first time in franchise history isn’t bad at all.
They’ll put their first ever winning record on the line today against
the expansion Vancouver Whitecaps (4PM/6ABC). Vancouver is coming off
one of the more impressive debuts ever. They thrashed Toronto 4-2 in
front of a raucous home crowd. Under the radar designated player Eric
Hassli paid immediate dividends scoring two goals for the Whitecaps.
The Union season opener in Houston was notable for a number of reasons.
First, they picked up a road win, which was all too rare last season.
Second, they kept a clean sheet. Third, they won a game where they had
little possession and even fewer quality scoring chances. That would
have never happened last season.
Despite only being forced to make two saves I feel confident in
saying that the clean sheet does not happen without Faryd Mondragon in
goal. I know I was more confident simply watching the game with him in
net. With that being said I cannot imagine the calm the Union players
felt with the big keeper between the sticks.
Mondragon expertly managed his back four. He controlled his box. At
one point he even pulled Carlos Valdes away from a small pushing match.
The guy was in total control. Again, it’s only been one game, but if
this is what we can expect the signing will be an incredible success.
Another bright spot was the central midfield combination of Stefani
Miglioranzi and Brian Carroll. They did a nice job of patrolling the
center of the pitch and making life difficult for the Dyanmo. The
flipside to that was the frightening regularity with which Brad Davis
roamed free down the flanks. The Union need to shut down those sorts of
Offensively the Union did not have much punch. I am not a huge fan of
playing Sebastien Le Toux up top, and would much prefer he played in an
advanced midfield role. Will Peter Nowak pair Danny Mwanga and Carlos
Ruiz up front today? With Justin Mapp ailing with a hamstring injury
it’s likely that Le Toux will indeed move to a midfield position.
Regardless of who Nowak puts there they won’t have to deal with Jay
DeMerit, who will be in New Jersey on national team duty as the U.S.
host Argentina in a friendly. Michael Boxhall, who started against
Toronto alongside DeMerit in the center of the backline, will also be
missing as he’s away representing New Zealand during this international
Davide Chiumiento, who was all over the field for the Whitecaps,
helping to create a ton of chances and picking up two assists, is
alternately listed as doubtful/out for today (hamstring strain). Shea
Salinas, the former Union man, also will not play as he deals with a
This is a tough spot for the Whitecaps. They are coming off the high
of the first win in franchise history. They had to hop on a plane and
travel from one coast to the other. They’re also facing a team Union in
front of a rabid home openining crowd.
Final Score Prediction: The U reward the PPL faithful with a 2-1 home win.
The Toni Stahl Memorial Union Player Most Likely To See Red: I’ll go with Valdes, who showed a bit of a temper last week.
|t800m101 on Video: Flyers and Capitals eng…|
|realist on Before This Week, the Most Un-…|
|The Evster on The Evster compares the Sixers…|
|Mungman on Why the upcoming free agency b…|
- New clips reveal Outkast’s Andre 3000 as Jimi Hendrix in All Is By My Side’
- Crumbling and stumbling: L&I says it doesn't know how many buildings have collapsed in Philly
- ▶ PhillyTawk: The Phluphian Dialect - YouTube
- San Francisco Mint Says Rare 1800s Gold Coins Have No Link To Thefts « CBS San Francisco
- Watch: The most Nick Young shot attempt in the history of Nick Young shot attempts
- Happy Black Friday: Evan Turner will pay you $500 for a $229 TV
- Shawn Andrews accuses Donovan McNabb of mistreatment, says he requested a trade
- Apparently, Darren Daulton had to stop Mitch Williams from 'attacking' Lenny Dykstra on Saturday
- Just 6 days to kickoff: Video to get ready for Union opener, some "kit" talk, and #USMNT shirts
- Maurice Edu has yet to play in Philly, yet he's already cooler (and nerdier) than you #throughglass
- Man hits ridiculous halfcourt shot during West Chester U. halftime contest, but won't get his $10,000
- This outlandish Penn State-themed Christmas light display is going to cost a lot of money
- Eagles #FlyEaglesFly team release another awesome video featuring DeSean's miracle return