Aug 16, 2012, 2:42 PM EDT
The Philadelphia Union announced this afternoon that they’ve traded forward Lionard Pajoy to D.C. United in exchange for midfielder Danny Cruz.
Here’s what the Union’s site has to say about their newest addition:
Cruz, 22, was drafted 41st overall in the 2009 MLS SuperDraft by the
Houston Dynamo. During his time with the Dynamo, Cruz started 27 of 51
games, compiling four goals and five assists in a total of 2621
minutes. He enjoyed his best season during the 2011 campaign, scoring a
stunning goal at the end of the season against the Portland Timbers to
help Houston earn a playoff berth. He also started all four of the
Dynamo’s four MLS Cup playoff matches, helping the team to the MLS Cup
final before falling to the LA Galaxy 1-0.
The article also points out that Cruz spent time on the U.S. under-17 National Team under current Union coach John Hackworth and played alonside Amobi Okugo, Zac MacMath, and Sheanon Williams.
Soccer By Ives seems to like the move for the U to get younger while adding a “versatile winger who can play on either side of the field.”
I just spoke to Hackworth. He said Cruz will play as part of the three-man frontline, in one of the wide positions. Will post quotes soon.
— Dave Zeitlin (@DaveZeitlin) August 16, 2012
|FlyersFan on Wayne Simmonds on Hartsy and V…|
|Jay D on Wayne Simmonds on Hartsy and V…|
|EDGE on Debating the Sixers’ 201…|
|Kevin on Debating the Sixers’ 201…|
- DeSean Jackson releases statement, denies any gang ties
- Swaggy uPdates: Nick Young gets in a hold-me-back fight, has sneakers stolen, and celebrates a missed 3
- Watch: The most Nick Young shot attempt in the history of Nick Young shot attempts
- Happy Black Friday: Evan Turner will pay you $500 for a $229 TV
- St. Joe's Ron Roberts is in the dunk contest tonight; we collected his most awesome YouTube clips
- Just 6 days to kickoff: Video to get ready for Union opener, some "kit" talk, and #USMNT shirts
- Maurice Edu has yet to play in Philly, yet he's already cooler (and nerdier) than you #throughglass
- Man hits ridiculous halfcourt shot during West Chester U. halftime contest, but won't get his $10,000
- This outlandish Penn State-themed Christmas light display is going to cost a lot of money