Oct 1, 2011, 9:48 AM EDT
Thursday night’s match hosting DC United had huge playoff implications for the Philadelphia Union, and they came out of the gate looking like they fully understood that.
Sebastien Le Toux continued his tear through the MLS’s second half, potting two goals in the game’s first 15 minutes. If you were late coming to PPL Park, you probably missed the first one. The U again did their best to catch the opposing backline flatfooted with the blazing fast Le Toux in motion, and it worked to precision on these two goals, which you can see in the first two minutes of the video below. Right about the 2:00 mark, you’ll see Le Toux doing his flashmob dance.
The match would stay level until the 57th minute, when Michael Farfan struck a great ball from distance, burying it in the top left corner. You can see that just after the 6:30 mark. Enjoy:
Farfan had been beaten for a costly goal during DC’s comeback, and I’d say he more than made up for it there.
His pass on Le Toux’s second goal was a thing of beauty, and his work with Roger Torres on the give-and-go, then sneaking through a porous defense showed a talented young player gaining confidence with the ball. Brilliant night for Marfan.
Just four regular season matches remain for the Union. Up next, they’ll will be in LA to face Chivas USA on Sunday at 8PM, televised on The Comcast Network. Then they’ll play Seattle Sounders FC on October 8 before returning home for their final regular season match at PPL Park, hosting Toronto FC. The season ends, hopefully in a playoff tuneup, at Red Bull Arena on October 20.
We’re growing accustomed to meaningful baseball in October, and this year, the soccer will high-stakes as well, with an eye toward the MLS playoffs. Despite conceding a pair of goals to equalize on Thursday night, the Union topped another team desperate for points to get into the playoffs.
|Scott B on What happens on April 4th,…|
|db21 on Safety First: Eagles agree to…|
|BS Bully on Ryan Howard Needs Surgery for…|
|Franchise on Patrick Chung’s reign of…|
- Watch: The most Nick Young shot attempt in the history of Nick Young shot attempts
- Happy Black Friday: Evan Turner will pay you $500 for a $229 TV
- Shawn Andrews accuses Donovan McNabb of mistreatment, says he requested a trade
- Apparently, Darren Daulton had to stop Mitch Williams from 'attacking' Lenny Dykstra on Saturday
- Just 6 days to kickoff: Video to get ready for Union opener, some "kit" talk, and #USMNT shirts
- Maurice Edu has yet to play in Philly, yet he's already cooler (and nerdier) than you #throughglass
- Man hits ridiculous halfcourt shot during West Chester U. halftime contest, but won't get his $10,000
- This outlandish Penn State-themed Christmas light display is going to cost a lot of money
- Eagles #FlyEaglesFly team release another awesome video featuring DeSean's miracle return