Afternoon Extras: Donaghy’s Lawyers, Flash’s Travels, a Flyers Eulogy, Trouble for RedLasso, and more…
May 21, 2008, 1:33 PM EDT
With our sporting focus now primarily on the Phils, it was good to see them win one last night to halt the skid mark before it stained. Outside of the Phillies, there are plenty of great stories to aid in your Wednesday blowing off of responsibilities. As if you needed the help.
- Bill Bender reports that Delco native and Cardinal O’Hara alum turned gambling referee Tim Donaghy isn’t going to jail without a fight, and his lawyer has gone on the offensive this week in hopes of reducing his sentence. The NBA needs this story to go away, but it still has legs like Manute Bol. [Daily News]
- Rob "Rock You Like an" Iracane of Walkoff Walk informs us that win-stealer Tom Gordon has now pitched in 45 different MLB parks. Later today, Jamie Moyer will hit 46! I knew a guy at Temple who tried to keep a record of how many stalls he’d used on campus; the rest of fooled ourselves into thinking we’d found the most rarely used porcelain in North Philly. [Walkoff Walk, via Ken Mandel]
- Red Sox Monster interviews the "yeses" of SexySoxGirls.com. Still waiting for the launch of Sexy Phils Girls. We would totally link the hell out of that.
- Puck Daddy invites J.P from the great Caps blog JapersRink to say a few words on the loss of our beloved hockey team. If you can’t laugh at this, you probably also get mad when people talk while the stewardess goes through the In the Event of… speech. [Puck Daddy]
- There’s no need to mourn them though, for the Flyers have gone onto a very nice purgatory (Heaven still awaits). It’s called the Borgata.
Also, after taking in a few period of the Flyers win on Thursday of
last week, Owen Wilson (in town to shoot Marley and Me) hit up Rick’s
Caberet in South Philly. Not a bad night for Kingsley Zissou. [Dan
- Is this the untimely end of RedLasso? [Silicon Alley Insider, via Mr. Irrelevant]
- The Man U-Chelsea Champions League final is today at 2. You probably won’t get to see it, but here’s a great primer. [The Beautiful Game]
- Also from Mr. Wyshynski, we have a discussion on the possibility of mandatory visors in the NHL,
and a nasty picture of the reason why. I used to wear the Jofa
birdcage, like Tommy Soderstrom, only I wasn’t a goalie. After getting
Coburned, I’d probably be wearing a welder’s mask. [Puck Daddy]
- I finally got the new Roots album yesterday. Recommended.
|Marvin Monroe on 2014 Philadelphia Eagles sched…|
|willh888 on 2014 Philadelphia Eagles sched…|
|Gregg on 2014 Philadelphia Eagles sched…|
|bruiserbrigade on At least Evan Turner didn…|
- DeSean Jackson releases statement, denies any gang ties
- Swaggy uPdates: Nick Young gets in a hold-me-back fight, has sneakers stolen, and celebrates a missed 3
- Watch: The most Nick Young shot attempt in the history of Nick Young shot attempts
- Happy Black Friday: Evan Turner will pay you $500 for a $229 TV
- St. Joe's Ron Roberts is in the dunk contest tonight; we collected his most awesome YouTube clips
- Just 6 days to kickoff: Video to get ready for Union opener, some "kit" talk, and #USMNT shirts
- Maurice Edu has yet to play in Philly, yet he's already cooler (and nerdier) than you #throughglass
- Man hits ridiculous halfcourt shot during West Chester U. halftime contest, but won't get his $10,000
- This outlandish Penn State-themed Christmas light display is going to cost a lot of money