Feb 19, 2011, 7:34 PM EDT
Rumor has it that Blake Griffin is going to dunk over a car tonight. Personally, I'd like to see him try to dunk Nate Robinson. You know, actually have Griffin pick up Robinson and slam him through the hoop. That I'd be into.
It's been years since I paid attention to the dunk contest. How many times can you watch someone count out their steps, mistime their self bounce pass, and then head back to half court to repeat the process? It's been awful.
This year has the potential to be different.
How will it differ? Well, this year Blake Griffin is involved, which means I may have to tune in to see the dunk which actually causes the internet to collapse upon itself. Griffin is scheduled to dunk against JaVale McGee, DeMar DeRozan, and Serge Ibaka.
How big of a favorite is Griffin? As of this writing Bodog.com has Griffin listed at -300. DeMar DeRozan is next at +350. Griffin, the NBA's newest superstar, the most powerfully spectacular dunker since Shawn Kemp, dunking at home in LA at the Staples Center? Yeah, -300 sounds about right.
The three point contest features returning champion Paul Pierce. He's up against Celtics teammate Ray Allen, Kevin Durant, Daniel Gibson, James Jones, and Dorell Wright. Craig Hodges wasn't invited?
There's also two events on the undercard. There's something called the Shooting Stars, which apparently involves one NBA player, one WNBA player, and one NBA "legend" in a shooting competition. The NBA "legends" are Steve Smith, Steve Kerr, Rick Fox, and Kenny Smith. Perhaps the NBA does not quite grasp the meaning of legend?
The other event is Skills Challenge. Yeah, I won't be watching that one. Bounce passes through a tire don't do it for me.
Lastly, I am setting the over/under for number of colors in Craig Sager's suit jacket at 127.5.
|puckstopper27 on Nick Young throws out Phillies…|
|sfsu on Snapshots: Flyers draw even in…|
|twine time on At least Evan Turner didn…|
|THOM on 2014 Philadelphia Eagles sched…|
- DeSean Jackson releases statement, denies any gang ties
- Swaggy uPdates: Nick Young gets in a hold-me-back fight, has sneakers stolen, and celebrates a missed 3
- Watch: The most Nick Young shot attempt in the history of Nick Young shot attempts
- Happy Black Friday: Evan Turner will pay you $500 for a $229 TV
- St. Joe's Ron Roberts is in the dunk contest tonight; we collected his most awesome YouTube clips
- Just 6 days to kickoff: Video to get ready for Union opener, some "kit" talk, and #USMNT shirts
- Maurice Edu has yet to play in Philly, yet he's already cooler (and nerdier) than you #throughglass
- Man hits ridiculous halfcourt shot during West Chester U. halftime contest, but won't get his $10,000
- This outlandish Penn State-themed Christmas light display is going to cost a lot of money