Feb 6, 2006, 9:10 AM EDT
Jamie Mottram, of AOL’s Sports Bloggers Live and the organizer of the Fanhouse, polled some of the top sports bloggers to compile a list of the top 40 sports figures of 2006. Only one person I voted for cracked the top 40 and he doesn’t even play his ball in Philly.
Check out the full list at Jamie’s blog Mr. Irrelevant.
My 10 person list after the jump.
1. Ryan Howard – 58 Home Runs – In the blink of an eye Ryan Howard has cemented himself as
Philadelphia’s best athlete. Move over Allen Iverson and Donovan McNabb, you’re in
Ryan‘s town now. In a city where fans want attitude, Ryan Howard makes us happy and keeps us watching baseball with his genuine respect and love for the game.
- From proving the Eagles could win without number 81 to ending another
season sidelined by injury, the water cooler talk never ends with
- Instead of talking about practice, we’re likely talking about trading
the most entertaining athlete Philly has seen in decades if not ever.
5. Terrell Owens – The Eagles defeating the Cowboys in the return of T.O.
was one of the most hyped games Philly has seen in years. The only
game comparable to it I can remember was the 2004 NFC Championship
game. Philadelphia will never stop asking what could have been if
Terrell just stopped being Little T. From Children’s books to attempted suicide, it never stops with Terrell Owens.
Brett Myers – A guy who beats his wife will never get any respect in Philly.
8. Andy Reid – Is his time done in Philly? Has the window closed? Times yours.
Chase Utley – He’s gotten lost a little bit in the giant shadow of Ryan Howard but Chase doesn’t mind. He’ll bring his winning attitude no matter what and Philly will love him.
Jimmy Rollins – Spending a winter wondering if Jimmy could catch Joe D. sure was fun.
10. Cole Hammels – Could Philly finally get an ace?
|bt on Matchday: Eagles linemen get y…|
|charlie d on Jayson Stark on Larry Bowa, th…|
|dawkisgod on Jayson Stark on Larry Bowa, th…|
|dawkisgod on Matchday: Eagles linemen get y…|
- New clips reveal Outkast’s Andre 3000 as Jimi Hendrix in All Is By My Side’
- Crumbling and stumbling: L&I says it doesn't know how many buildings have collapsed in Philly
- ▶ PhillyTawk: The Phluphian Dialect - YouTube
- San Francisco Mint Says Rare 1800s Gold Coins Have No Link To Thefts « CBS San Francisco
- Watch: The most Nick Young shot attempt in the history of Nick Young shot attempts
- Happy Black Friday: Evan Turner will pay you $500 for a $229 TV
- Shawn Andrews accuses Donovan McNabb of mistreatment, says he requested a trade
- Apparently, Darren Daulton had to stop Mitch Williams from 'attacking' Lenny Dykstra on Saturday
- Just 6 days to kickoff: Video to get ready for Union opener, some "kit" talk, and #USMNT shirts
- Maurice Edu has yet to play in Philly, yet he's already cooler (and nerdier) than you #throughglass
- Man hits ridiculous halfcourt shot during West Chester U. halftime contest, but won't get his $10,000
- This outlandish Penn State-themed Christmas light display is going to cost a lot of money
- Eagles #FlyEaglesFly team release another awesome video featuring DeSean's miracle return