Feb 4, 2014, 4:13 PM EDT
Charlie Manuel already owns the Philadelphia Phillies’ record for wins by a manager with 780, but since records are made to be broken, the franchise will immortalize the legendary skipper another way.
The team announced on Tuesday that Manuel will join the ranks of the great Phillies of all time in a pre-game ceremony to be held on August 9, less than one year from the day he was relieved of his duties as manager.
Here’s more from the team’s press release:
“It is only fitting that Charlie become the newest member of our Wall of Fame,” said Phillies President David Montgomery. “His contributions to our club, his unparalleled connection with our fans, and his overall passion and love of the game made the decision an easy one. He has left an indelible mark on Phillies history and he deserves this honor.”
Manuel spent nine seasons (2005-13) at the helm of the Phillies and went 780-636 (.551), guiding the club to more wins than any other manager in franchise history. From 2007-11, the club won five consecutive National League East Division titles, two NL pennants and a World Series championship. Last August, he became the 59th manager in major league history to notch 1,000 wins. Prior to being named manager for the 2005 season, Manuel spent two years (2003-04) working for the Phillies as a special assistant to then-GM Ed Wade. Manuel was recently named the team’s senior advisor to the general manager.
Manuel’s induction will be a part of the annual Alumni Weekend festivities at Citizens Bank Park, which this year will also include a Roy Halladay bobblehead giveaway on August 8. Halladay will be among the alumni in attendance to honor his former manager.
Manuel’s recognition is a no-brainer, although it’s a bit surprising it happened so fast. Anything that keeps him around the organization and making public appearances is a good thing though.
|bt on Matchday: Eagles linemen get y…|
|charlie d on Jayson Stark on Larry Bowa, th…|
|dawkisgod on Jayson Stark on Larry Bowa, th…|
|dawkisgod on Matchday: Eagles linemen get y…|
- New clips reveal Outkast’s Andre 3000 as Jimi Hendrix in All Is By My Side’
- Crumbling and stumbling: L&I says it doesn't know how many buildings have collapsed in Philly
- ▶ PhillyTawk: The Phluphian Dialect - YouTube
- San Francisco Mint Says Rare 1800s Gold Coins Have No Link To Thefts « CBS San Francisco
- Watch: The most Nick Young shot attempt in the history of Nick Young shot attempts
- Happy Black Friday: Evan Turner will pay you $500 for a $229 TV
- Shawn Andrews accuses Donovan McNabb of mistreatment, says he requested a trade
- Apparently, Darren Daulton had to stop Mitch Williams from 'attacking' Lenny Dykstra on Saturday
- Just 6 days to kickoff: Video to get ready for Union opener, some "kit" talk, and #USMNT shirts
- Maurice Edu has yet to play in Philly, yet he's already cooler (and nerdier) than you #throughglass
- Man hits ridiculous halfcourt shot during West Chester U. halftime contest, but won't get his $10,000
- This outlandish Penn State-themed Christmas light display is going to cost a lot of money
- Eagles #FlyEaglesFly team release another awesome video featuring DeSean's miracle return