Jul 22, 2005, 11:29 PM EDT
After a rather bumpy stretch, Chase Utley comes through in the clutch. Phillies fans have to be excited, after seeing Ryan Howard hitting a walk off game winner Tuesday, everybody’s favorite second basemen won Friday night’s game against the Padres with a walk off two run shot. Chase took a nice little hop after connecting with the blast; it is nice to see the Phillies play with some emotion lately. Thomas and Oogie were the first off the bench to celebrate.
In ugly news, how bad was the bases juiced no outs with nothing to show for it?
A win is a win and a walk off home run should get the Phils excited. The Phils are now only 4 games out of the wild card in the NL. Chase "Clutchly" stolen from Tom G.
The homer made meaningless history of the
fact that the Phils blew two three-run leads and, instead, jumped over
the third-place Mets and gained a game on the Braves and Nationals, who
are tied with Atlanta for first in the National League East, five games
ahead of the Phillies. It kept the Phillies from losing three straight.
"It’s a big win," Utley said.
Utley’s shot recalled the 10th-inning, two-run homer rookie Ryan
Howard hit Tuesday to rescue the Phillies from a loss to the Dodgers.
With Jim Thome sidelined since July 1 with tendinitis in his right
elbow and with Bobby Abreu slumping since July 5, the young guns have
come through for their lefty-hitting elders.
"It’s great," Abreu said. "A lot of people expect it to be Bobby.
They expect it to be Pat [Burrell]. You’ve got to give them credit."
Aaron Fultz got credit for the win by pitching a scoreless 10th and
11th, but there was plenty of blame to go around on both teams before
Utley finished things in a game between teams that neither particularly
deserved to win.
|Renee on Steve Mason will start Game 4…|
|Renee on At least Evan Turner didn…|
|Jim on Debating the Sixers’ 201…|
|Marvin Monroe on 2014 Philadelphia Eagles sched…|
- DeSean Jackson releases statement, denies any gang ties
- Swaggy uPdates: Nick Young gets in a hold-me-back fight, has sneakers stolen, and celebrates a missed 3
- Watch: The most Nick Young shot attempt in the history of Nick Young shot attempts
- Happy Black Friday: Evan Turner will pay you $500 for a $229 TV
- St. Joe's Ron Roberts is in the dunk contest tonight; we collected his most awesome YouTube clips
- Just 6 days to kickoff: Video to get ready for Union opener, some "kit" talk, and #USMNT shirts
- Maurice Edu has yet to play in Philly, yet he's already cooler (and nerdier) than you #throughglass
- Man hits ridiculous halfcourt shot during West Chester U. halftime contest, but won't get his $10,000
- This outlandish Penn State-themed Christmas light display is going to cost a lot of money