Jun 2, 2013, 11:53 AM EST
That one hurt. The Phils were on the comeback trail against the Brewers in the 9th inning last night, with a leadoff Freddy Galvis solo shot cutting the lead to one, and Jimmy Rollins singling and a Ben Revere bunt getting us a man in scoring position with just one out. But with J-Roll sitting for the game with a sore foot, Charlie had Kyle Kendrick take the basepaths for him, and continuing our streak of good luck with pitchers getting used as pinch-runners, it quickly proved a disaster, as Milwaukee reliever made a wild spin to second to pick off a leaning Kyle, with shortstop Jean Segura applying the tag.
Except he didn’t. Second-base ump Mike Estabrook called the tag, but it was never actually made–the ball clearly popped out of Segura’s glove as he was swiping Kyle, and not recovered until the pitcher was easily back on the bag. Still, the out call was made, and a subsequent Cesar Hernandez double to right, which would have easily scored KK from second, was instead wasted when Michael Martinez (a late-inning and arguably shortsighted base-running replacement for Ryan Howard) grounded out to short. Final score: Brewers 4, Phils 3.
The Downtown Dom Brown watch wasn’t in huge effect last night, as the NL home-run leader went just 1-4 with the one hit being a single, but Dom did do something for the first time since April 30th–he took a walk. Of course, it wasn’t really his choice–the walk came in that ninth inning with a base open and Michael Martinez on deck, an obvious situation for an IBB. Still, it was cool to see our best hitter being treated with the fear and respect that he deserves, and it was good to see that ol’ OBP take a jump for Dom, regardless of situation. He’s also hit safely in six straight and 11 of his last 12, if that’s your sort of thing.
Anyway, Dom will get one more chance to power the Phils to a win against this damned Brew Crew, with the help of Cliff Lee taking the hill this afternoon. Cliff has obviously been our best starter this year, and is in a serious groove even by his standards of late, going 4-0 with a 1.15 ERA in his last five starts, going at least seven innings deep in each outing (with a typically Cliftonian 29:6 K/BB ratio). However, Lee’s struggled in his career against Milwaukee (0-1, 5.08 ERA in five starts), and the Brewers’ bats have already tagged the Phils for 12 runs in this series, so this is no time for electric relaxation from the Phife Dog.
1:35 first pitch from CBP. Before we get there, quick shoutout to Cesar Hernandez, who’s hit fairly respectably (5-15 with a double and a run scored) in three starts filling in for the injured Chase Utley. After years of Wilson Valdezes and Juan Castros filling in for our perpetually injured middle infielders, nice to get a sub with at least the slightest hint of upside, no?
|Webuppp on Jayson Stark on Larry Bowa, th…|
|kirk on Jayson Stark on Larry Bowa, th…|
|Tito Santantana Offt… on Allen Iverson in latest Reebok…|
|charlie d on Jayson Stark on Larry Bowa, th…|
- New clips reveal Outkast’s Andre 3000 as Jimi Hendrix in All Is By My Side’
- Crumbling and stumbling: L&I says it doesn't know how many buildings have collapsed in Philly
- ▶ PhillyTawk: The Phluphian Dialect - YouTube
- San Francisco Mint Says Rare 1800s Gold Coins Have No Link To Thefts « CBS San Francisco
- Watch: The most Nick Young shot attempt in the history of Nick Young shot attempts
- Happy Black Friday: Evan Turner will pay you $500 for a $229 TV
- Shawn Andrews accuses Donovan McNabb of mistreatment, says he requested a trade
- Apparently, Darren Daulton had to stop Mitch Williams from 'attacking' Lenny Dykstra on Saturday
- Just 6 days to kickoff: Video to get ready for Union opener, some "kit" talk, and #USMNT shirts
- Maurice Edu has yet to play in Philly, yet he's already cooler (and nerdier) than you #throughglass
- Man hits ridiculous halfcourt shot during West Chester U. halftime contest, but won't get his $10,000
- This outlandish Penn State-themed Christmas light display is going to cost a lot of money
- Eagles #FlyEaglesFly team release another awesome video featuring DeSean's miracle return