Jul 29, 2010, 3:41 PM EDT
Roy Oswalt is coming to Philadelphia. The Astros ace was arguably the best available pitcher this trade season once that ex-Phillie got traded to the Rangers. All signs point to Ruben Amaro Jr. pulling off quite a trade with old buddy Ed Wade.
By all accounts, the deal is done. The Phillies will reportedly send JA Happ, OF Anthony Gose, and SS Jonathan Villar to Houston in exchange for Roy Oswalt and a yet-to-be-determined amount of cash. We had previously heard $11 million.
Happ was a tremendous help in getting the Phillies to the 2009 playoffs, but he's basically been a non-factor this season having spent most of it on the DL and rehabbing. Aside from being considered a good guy, his departure isn't all that hard to swallow. Gose is a speedy kid with a lot of upside but the style of player the Phillies seem to have a lot of in their system. Villar is generally unknown to most people who don't closely follow minor league ball for a living.
Oswalt will pitch on Friday night for the Phillies in Washington against the Nationals.
Halladay, Hamels, Oswalt. I just keep saying it over and over.
>>Oswalt to Start Friday [CSN]
Photo by Getty
|puckstopper27 on Nick Young throws out Phillies…|
|sfsu on Snapshots: Flyers draw even in…|
|twine time on At least Evan Turner didn…|
|THOM on 2014 Philadelphia Eagles sched…|
- DeSean Jackson releases statement, denies any gang ties
- Watch: The most Nick Young shot attempt in the history of Nick Young shot attempts
- Happy Black Friday: Evan Turner will pay you $500 for a $229 TV
- St. Joe's Ron Roberts is in the dunk contest tonight; we collected his most awesome YouTube clips
- Just 6 days to kickoff: Video to get ready for Union opener, some "kit" talk, and #USMNT shirts
- Maurice Edu has yet to play in Philly, yet he's already cooler (and nerdier) than you #throughglass
- This outlandish Penn State-themed Christmas light display is going to cost a lot of money