Jul 8, 2008, 9:25 PM EST
Marc Stein, who previously broke the story that the Sixers were gearing up to sign either Elton Brand or Josh Smith by clearing salary cap room, is now quoting sources stating that Brand has told the team he will accept a five-year deal worth an estimated $82 million and come to Philly.
Earlier, we received a message that Elton Brand had a VIP table at the posh Table 31 tonight, but we didn’t get word on whether there was a champagne toast. Apparently there was cause for celebration, and if these reports are true, we’ll probably be seeing much more of Brand downtown. No free agency deals can officially be made until after midnight, but it sounds like Brand will be a Sixer come tomorrow morning.
Stein also says the Sixers may have netted a second-round pick in the deal they had agreed upon with Minnesota, which sent Rodney Carney, Calvin Booth, and a first-rounder to the Timberwolves in exchange for the extra cap space it would require to net a big talent like Brand.
On Comcast SportsNite, Phil Jasner of the Daily News reported that Brand likely took a lesser offer from the Sixers than what he might have netted from Golden State, and also that the Clippers went out and signed Baron Davis to a big deal thinking that Brand would be returning. By all accounts, the Sixers’ nabbing a post player of Brand’s caliber, who wasn’t expected to come East, is a coup.
As long as he is/stays healthy…
|bt on Matchday: Eagles linemen get y…|
|charlie d on Jayson Stark on Larry Bowa, th…|
|dawkisgod on Jayson Stark on Larry Bowa, th…|
|dawkisgod on Matchday: Eagles linemen get y…|
- New clips reveal Outkast’s Andre 3000 as Jimi Hendrix in All Is By My Side’
- Crumbling and stumbling: L&I says it doesn't know how many buildings have collapsed in Philly
- ▶ PhillyTawk: The Phluphian Dialect - YouTube
- San Francisco Mint Says Rare 1800s Gold Coins Have No Link To Thefts « CBS San Francisco
- Watch: The most Nick Young shot attempt in the history of Nick Young shot attempts
- Happy Black Friday: Evan Turner will pay you $500 for a $229 TV
- Shawn Andrews accuses Donovan McNabb of mistreatment, says he requested a trade
- Apparently, Darren Daulton had to stop Mitch Williams from 'attacking' Lenny Dykstra on Saturday
- Just 6 days to kickoff: Video to get ready for Union opener, some "kit" talk, and #USMNT shirts
- Maurice Edu has yet to play in Philly, yet he's already cooler (and nerdier) than you #throughglass
- Man hits ridiculous halfcourt shot during West Chester U. halftime contest, but won't get his $10,000
- This outlandish Penn State-themed Christmas light display is going to cost a lot of money
- Eagles #FlyEaglesFly team release another awesome video featuring DeSean's miracle return