Feb 4, 2014, 1:11 PM EDT
Philadelphia 76ers head coach Brett Brown admitted on Monday that “It’s been an incredible surprise to have our team intact this late in the year.” From the sound of things, he might not want to get used to that feeling.
The NBA trade deadline is right around the corner, and the Sixers figure to be prominent players when the deals start going down. Liberty Ballers reports that eight teams spoke to Philadelphia about potential swaps in the month of January alone, and if the rumblings are to be believed, that number could be on the rise.
As of now, much of the talk is swirling around Evan Turner. The second-overall pick from the 2010 draft is being shopped around according to multiple outlets, with the Charlotte Bobcats said to be the most recent team showing interest according to Rick Bonnell of The Charlotte Observer. Sean Deveney for the Sporting News writes that the Oklahoma City Thunder and Phoenix Suns are also known to have interest.
The Thunder and Suns appear to be the most compelling potential partners right now based on the asking price for Turner. Deveney says general manager Sam Hinkie is focused on netting a draft pick in return, but the feeling right now is that may be too rich for 17.9 and 6.0 per game.
Still, as Deveney points out, the Thunder and Suns are probably in the best position to make it happen.
The Thunder, who will own Dallas’ draft pick this year if it is outside of the Top 20, expressed interest in Turner earlier in the year. A source said, too, that Phoenix—which potentially has four first-round picks in the 2014 draft and would be willing to part with at least one—discussed Turner with the Sixers, but nothing solid resulted.
Thaddeus Young and Spencer Hawes are on the block as well, although their availability isn’t grabbing as much attention.
We all understand what’s happening here. The Sixers are sellers and are going to do whatever it takes to continue building toward the future. Even Turner admits he won’t be surprised if he’s no longer in Philadelphia by the end of the month. Expect the rumor mill to continue heating up as we inch closer to the deadline.
|Eng E on At least Evan Turner didn…|
|JJ on At least Evan Turner didn…|
|nahroots on Ryan Howard suddenly off to on…|
|Howie on Exit Interviews: Evaluating th…|
- DeSean Jackson releases statement, denies any gang ties
- Watch: The most Nick Young shot attempt in the history of Nick Young shot attempts
- Happy Black Friday: Evan Turner will pay you $500 for a $229 TV
- St. Joe's Ron Roberts is in the dunk contest tonight; we collected his most awesome YouTube clips
- Just 6 days to kickoff: Video to get ready for Union opener, some "kit" talk, and #USMNT shirts
- Maurice Edu has yet to play in Philly, yet he's already cooler (and nerdier) than you #throughglass
- This outlandish Penn State-themed Christmas light display is going to cost a lot of money