May 9, 2008, 3:35 PM EDT
The murder of
Sgt. Stephen Liczbinski last Saturday put life in perspective for much of the Philadelphia community. Sometimes when things get tough, people turn to sports. Often, when friends or family members who have passed are remembered, one of the first things to be mentioned is their lifelong support of their favorite team.
The applause thundered through the
cathedral Friday as hundreds of people mourned a Philadelphia police
officer killed in the line of duty.
"Let’s go Flyers, let’s go!" (Clap, clap, clap-clap-clap!)
cheer for the city’s hockey team came toward the end of the funeral
Mass for Sgt. Stephen Liczbinski. It was led with a smile by his oldest
son, Matt, who wanted to show some support for his father’s favorite
team before that night’s playoff game against the Pittsburgh Penguins.
Also, "his casket’s lining bore the team emblem,
and a jersey and flower arrangement in the shape of the logo were
displayed nearby before the Mass."
We’ve also heard the Flyers may have a moment of silence in honor of Liczbinski at their first home game of the Eastern Conference Finals. Condolences to all who knew the fallen officer.
>>Funeral for slain officer includes cheer for favorite team [York Daily Record]
>>Sgt. Liczbinski celebrated at Cathedral [Inquirer]
|puckstopper27 on Nick Young throws out Phillies…|
|sfsu on Snapshots: Flyers draw even in…|
|twine time on At least Evan Turner didn…|
|THOM on 2014 Philadelphia Eagles sched…|
- DeSean Jackson releases statement, denies any gang ties
- Swaggy uPdates: Nick Young gets in a hold-me-back fight, has sneakers stolen, and celebrates a missed 3
- Watch: The most Nick Young shot attempt in the history of Nick Young shot attempts
- Happy Black Friday: Evan Turner will pay you $500 for a $229 TV
- St. Joe's Ron Roberts is in the dunk contest tonight; we collected his most awesome YouTube clips
- Just 6 days to kickoff: Video to get ready for Union opener, some "kit" talk, and #USMNT shirts
- Maurice Edu has yet to play in Philly, yet he's already cooler (and nerdier) than you #throughglass
- Man hits ridiculous halfcourt shot during West Chester U. halftime contest, but won't get his $10,000
- This outlandish Penn State-themed Christmas light display is going to cost a lot of money