Mar 12, 2011, 6:14 PM EDT
Don't know much about the Atlanta Thrashers this season but want to? Well you're in luck. The Flyers have three remaining games against the Thrashers this season, and they all take place in the month of March. The Thrashers are in need of wins to maintain any hope of making the playoffs, a mark they're currently six points shy of, among a crowded bubble. The Flyers are clearly the better team, but over the past few weeks, teams like the Thrashers have posed more difficulty than they should have.
However, unlike some of the teams heating up and climbing the standings, Atlanta lost all but two of their February games, and three of five March contests. Each of their last three games have gone to OT, with the Thrashers beating Florida and Carolina before falling to New Jersey. We've seen why teams like the Flyers need to be mindful of desperate clubs, but let's not confuse matters and pretend the Thrashers don't suck. At best, they're decidedly mediocre.
No excuses tonight. The Thrashers are here in need of a win, and the Flyers will need to match their intensity.
Kris Versteeg and Nick Boynton will get to visit with former Blackhawks teammates Andrew Ladd and Dustin Byfuglien. Ladd is leading the Thrashers in scoring, and Buff is actually their second-leading scorer—just one fewer point than Ladd at 50—despite being a defenseman. He'd even be fifth on the Flyers, only four points south of Danny Briere's total, with 20 goals and 30 assists. He has five points in his last three games, and he'll likely have a little added swagger tonight. Unfortunately, Chris Pronger will sit out again due to whatever's bothering his hand. Panotch says he's wearing some sort of soft cast or wrist brace. Rest up, gentle giant.
Sergei Bobrovsky is expected to start in net and face Ondrej Pavelec.
Ah better memories of Boardwalk Hall than today's TU loss…
|Marvin Monroe on Interesting theory on Jake Vor…|
|FlyersFan on Mason out: Ray Emery is your F…|
|RightMeow on Mason out: Ray Emery is your F…|
|twpguy1964 on Andrew MacDonald’s contract pa…|
- Ask the Maester: Answers to Your Questions About the Royal Wedding Aftermath (and Other Issues of Great Import) «
- Three Thoughts on Stephen Colbert’s Sudden Ascension to David Letterman’s Late-Night Throne «
- First Phillies game
- Billy Hamilton just scored from third base on a pop fly behind second | HardballTalk
- DeSean Jackson releases statement, denies any gang ties
- Swaggy uPdates: Nick Young gets in a hold-me-back fight, has sneakers stolen, and celebrates a missed 3
- Watch: The most Nick Young shot attempt in the history of Nick Young shot attempts
- Happy Black Friday: Evan Turner will pay you $500 for a $229 TV
- St. Joe's Ron Roberts is in the dunk contest tonight; we collected his most awesome YouTube clips
- Just 6 days to kickoff: Video to get ready for Union opener, some "kit" talk, and #USMNT shirts
- Maurice Edu has yet to play in Philly, yet he's already cooler (and nerdier) than you #throughglass
- Man hits ridiculous halfcourt shot during West Chester U. halftime contest, but won't get his $10,000
- This outlandish Penn State-themed Christmas light display is going to cost a lot of money